Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Webcam software for Macbook

Hi All,

Anyone out there able to help provide me with some info on webcam imaging software for a Mac, please?

I have had a look around and cant find much freeware, so it looks like i will have to pay for the software. Im not to sure what would be best to get. Any advice?

I have a pc I can use, worst case scenario, but i really would rather use my Mac. (and not spend more money :) )

I basically have ordered a cheap Xbox cam off ebay and just want to have a play around, nothing to serious yet. Be really good to have a few images to get to know my round the processing software.

Thanks in advance

Jez

Have I made my first SGL mistake, by mentioning the word MACBOOK on an astronomy site? Everyone is so quiet. Or, is it just that I am the only one sitting in the corner, playing with my Apple. :dontknow::icon_scratch:

Your not the only one with a Mac but just find it easier to source programs etc for my windows based pc/laptop!

Your not the only one with a Mac but just find it easier to source programs etc for my windows based pc/laptop!

Cheers Oily, the more i search the more i find this to be apparent. I managed to find a few bits and bobs for the mac but nothing great.

I am feeling left out so I will be setting up my mac as a dual-bootable system so I can run windows, then I will have the choice. But definitely seems PC is the way for AP.

thanks

Jez

Tongue in cheek moment ahead...

best astronomy relayed software for a Mac is...

parralels or VM Ware :D

I already have that installed but it really impedes performance, takes ages to do anything, and from my experience i wouldn't recommend it. Best to upgrade harddisc size and do the dual bootable system, then windows won't be compromised.

Have I made my first SGL mistake, by mentioning the word MACBOOK on an astronomy site? Everyone is so quiet. Or, is it just that I am the only one sitting in the corner, playing with my Apple. :dontknow::icon_scratch:

Not at all - there's quite a few of us. I can't really help though as my imaging is 99.99% deep sky stuff so I don't have that much practice with webcams :) If you ever switch to deep sky... well, there's plenty of options.

Hmmm... something new to try....

James

Not at all - there's quite a few of us. I can't really help though as my imaging is 99.99% deep sky stuff so I don't have that much practice with webcams :) If you ever switch to deep sky... well, there's plenty of options.

Hmmm... something new to try....

James

I will have the use of a Nikon D90 soon, with NKremote. Although, like the Mac vs PC, it doesn't appear to be as supported as much as Canon. But I have seen a few people on here that only use Nikon, and the D90 gets pretty decent reviews on AP. I would assume its like most things in astronomy. Its all swings and roundabouts and a lot of it depends on how deep your pockets are!

Yes... Seriously, If you can do it then boot camp is the way to go

I was aware of the comical value of your post, and it didn't go unappreciated :) and didn't mean to come across all serious-like (it was probably due to the fact that id just been trying VMware and then thinking "No!! This is 'EXPLETIVE' 'EXPLETIVE' 'EXPLETIVE'")

Cheers for your interest

Jez :)

Sorry, I should have said bootcamp for windows XP. It is possible with windows 7 - apparently you can start installing windows 7 and then replace the disk at the right moment with the XP disc, but then you have driver problems. I use some old software that will not run on windows 7, that is why I use XP, and wrongly assume that everyone else is stuck in the stone age like myself..... One day I will get up to date....

Chris

Archived