NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M76 WOW factor!!!!!

Robstargazer15

M76 is rather nice (underrated, I would say), and not that difficult I found. I got M102 (NGC 5866 in Draco) quite easily, and could even spot the dust band in my C8. You 12" dob should have no problems. If you have so many Messiers, you should have made quite some inroads into the Herschel 400, because the lists overlap considerably.

M76 is a great object if your sky is up to it. Congratulations on another new find.

Your NGC count is probably higher than the 62 you have quoted. I think all but two Messiers (M40 and M45) have an NGC catalogue number and M76 actually has two (NGC 650 and NGC 651).

Additionally, as Michael states, I think there are twenty odd on the Herschel list too. Wikipedia will elaborate on what appears in both lists.

M76 appeared as a fuzzy rectangle with a faint halo of gas around it in my 16" with moderate LP.

http://darkskysketch...uk/search?q=m76

This is an interesting little video on M76, worth a watch.

If anyone else is getting bored of standing outside shaking there fists at the clouds then I can recommend this series of short videos on You Tube by Deep Sky Videos, most are only 5 minute clips but lots of good info on the Messiers etc. :)

http://www.youtube.c...s?feature=watch

and you dont live in cloudland ! im sooo sick of this awful weather. scopes getting cobwebs.

Yes, I forget myself!

T'was clear at 6pm this evening although not great visibility. I did have the scope out briefly but it felt so vulnerable in the high winds, I packed it away again before viewing anything.

Archived