Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Goto Power Help

Evening everybody,

I have recently got a nexstar 127 SLT and looking at power options. I'm thinking a mains adapter will be best as I'm always close to a power supply where I view.

Celestron recommend a 2.5 amp power supply but will one that has 5 amps do any damage? The voltage remains exactly the same.

Link below says scope should be ok:

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/info%2dBC168%2ehtml

I just didn't want to cause any damage and have been told more amps should be fine if volts are the same? Just don't know, I don't want to fry my brand new scope.

Thanks

The important thing is that your power supply must be REGULATED.

That means from zero load (0 amps) to full load (5 amps) the voltage is near enough fixed at 12V.

In this case things are OK.

One thing to watch. The mains connector looks to be a standard IEC type. Not waterproof. Do not handle the live power supply or mains plug on a dewy night. I would be tempted to put in a plastic (lunch box).

Ffor anyone thinking about using a power supply from elsewhere, if you aren't sure if it is regulated, check with a voltmeter before possibly destroying expensive electronics.

A lot people use unregulated supplies and get into all sorts of bother.

Thanks for replies.

I've found one which is regulated so that's solved one problem, my only worry is dew / waterproofing.

Would using something like this not be very advisable because of this or are there ways round this?

Other than that my option is a power tank, though these cost around double.

A car start type powertank can run the scope, get your car out of electrical bother, maybe even blow up the tyres.

A powertank of any sort will work in a distant dark field.

A long way to run a mains extension lead...

Just a thought.

Or just have both. Adaptor for home and power tank for further afield :)

Thanks for replies.

I've found one which is regulated so that's solved one problem, my only worry is dew / waterproofing.

Would using something like this not be very advisable because of this or are there ways round this?

Other than that my option is a power tank, though these cost around double.

I use one of these to keep my psu dry http://www.amazon.co.uk/DRiBOX-FL-1859-330-Large-Weatherproof-Black/dp/B003O2X6T8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1359474130&sr=8-6

I think I'm going to just use a power tank, seems to be the easier option and can then at least move around as required.

Thanks for replies.

I have found with my Maplin power tank after managing to drain it mid observe by experimenting with a car fan heater that you can charge it and use it to power at the same time.

Archived