NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flexible R.A Dec extension bars for Eq5

Hi All, I am in need of a little help please. ( again! :) )

I have just been searching online to try and find some pricing for the flexi-extension bars you can get to make RA and DEC adjustments easier and more accessible on the EQ5 mount. But I couldn't find anything about them. They probably have a specific name which I am unaware of and I am really not having any luck.

I was going to take a course in contortionism, But it turns out this is more expensive than astronomy! :grin:

Any pointers in the right direction would be great.

Thanks

Jez

Its probably just me but i found the flexi controls awful to use, the screws need constant tightening as they work free easily (near impossible with frozen or gloved hands & if u drop one they're that tiny it'll be gone for good :eek: )and when I had them at even a slight bent angle, turning them was very 'jerky', I find the 'knobs' on my EQ5 far easier to use, they're extremely smooth and accesible & make slo-mo tracking a doddle, but thats just my opinion. :grin:

Steve

Its probably just me but i found the flexi controls awful to use, the screws need constant tightening as they work free easily (near impossible with frozen or gloved hands & if u drop one they're that tiny it'll be gone for good :eek: )and when I had them at even a slight bent angle, turning them was very 'jerky', I find the 'knobs' on my EQ5 far easier to use, they're extremely smooth and accesible & make slo-mo tracking a doddle, but thats just my opinion. :grin:

Steve

Oh, mixed opinions on them, then. I was just finding myself in some awfully strange positions last night and the idea of these felt like a really good idea.

Could you not use a locking fluid on screws? are these the only ones you can get? (not that i want to spend money but are there better quality versions around?)

Is the jerkiness really that bad? may it be that yours maybe slightly faulty?

Thanks for info once again Steve

Oh, mixed opinions on them, then. I was just finding myself in some awfully strange positions last night and the idea of these felt like a really good idea.

Could you not use a locking fluid on screws? are these the only ones you can get? (not that i want to spend money but are there better quality versions around?)

Is the jerkiness really that bad? may it be that yours maybe slightly faulty?

Thanks for info once again Steve

Theres not really anything that can go wrong with them mate, its just i found them not easy to use, didnt think of locking them tho. I do find the knobs easier for me.

Steve

I had some of these too & did not get on with them. Biggest problem was the flexible shaft clashing with the OTA

Finished up getting ra motor which was much better & tracks object also

Yeah, I found they were constantly hitting the OTA aswel, I also got smacked by one on the elbow when It bent round some bit or other, which was pleasant haha.

Steve

I had some of these too & did not get on with them. Biggest problem was the flexible shaft clashing with the OTA

Finished up getting ra motor which was much better & tracks object also

Yeah, I found they were constantly hitting the OTA aswel, I also got smacked by one on the elbow when It bent round some bit or other, which was pleasant haha.

Steve

So, it would probably be best to save the money towards the dual axis motordrives? as at some point I will want to start getting involve in AP.

I dont really like the sound of damaging the OTA and being smacked in the mouth with them either. It does sound like i can put the money to better use

Thanks

I'm intending to fit motors at some point (possibly even the Synscan if I can justify it to myself!) but I couldn't get on with the knobs as they were so loose. These are a bit of a pain to keep on there though, and have had to tighten them each time I wanted to use them. I do find them easier to manage though as being a scope newbie, I've been fumbling for the small knobs and missing them. Bit hard to miss these things as they're stuck out so far, which is nicely handy for me at the moment

Thanks for all the comments, I think I am going to save the money for dual axis drive upgrades at some point. It seems these extensions may fix a problem, but cause several others. so think i will give them a miss.

In the meantime, I am gonna get back into my yoga. This will make those awkward positions a breeze!! :laugh:

Cheers

Jez

Steve

Hi Steve, I also prefer the original knobs, very sturdy and easy to use, the only trouble I have is finding the one on the far side of the mount in the dark, is it the DEC one?

Hi Steve, I also prefer the original knobs, very sturdy and easy to use, the only trouble I have is finding the one on the far side of the mount in the dark, is it the DEC one?

I know what you mean Robin, The ra is simple as it stays at the mount base, the dec one is always 'moving' around. I've just put a glow in the dark sticker on each one :grin:

Steve

Ordered. Though im gutted I couldn't find skull and cross-bone one's. Would have matched the pirate eye patch I ordered yesterday! :laugh:

Haha, i'm thinking of getting one so at least my observing eye is always dark adapted :grin: I read somewhere on here of a guy who has a red light in his fridge so his night vision isnt hammered when he goes for a beer. :laugh:

Ironically I suffered from the same thing last night, trying to adjust the guide scope while twisting my body to reach the knobs...Then I decide, can't live with this any more...I'm getting a motor. Maybe that's what you need. I think a motor will be useful particularly if you don't want to grope your way to them in the dark.

Ironically I suffered from the same thing last night, trying to adjust the guide scope while twisting my body to reach the knobs...Then I decide, can't live with this any more...I'm getting a motor. Maybe that's what you need. I think a motor will be useful particularly if you don't want to grope your way to them in the dark.

Yeah it definitely seems that the motor route is the right option. I will make do for now and save the money towards that as I do want to get into AP in the future.

Archived