Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Suitable power adapter for EQ5 dual axis drive?

kyokugaisha

When I'm set up in my back garden I'd like to run my EQ5 drive from a power socket rather than using the battery pack. Does this look like a suitable adapter to use?

http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_cp_ce_0

It can be set to 6v DC but the thing I'm unsure about is the amperage, which it states is up to 1500 mA. Could this do any damage to the notoriously sensitive EQ5 drive box?

If the controller can't draw enough current it doesn't work properly, but I think it only requires about 500mA so if that adapter is rated for 1500mA it should be fine. It's worth checking how stable the output voltage is though. The handset really doesn't like being run at too high a voltage.

James

I think EQ-5 tops 2A when goes fast. I bought a 12V brick with 8A to make sure it can sustain dewzappers, mount motors, astro cam and guider etc.

Do a list list like mine and ad all devices.

Astro POWER :

-Canon 1100 = 2 A

-EQ-5 = 2 A

-OAG = 0.5 A

======== 4.5 A

-4" Dew = 0.94 A/h

-2" Dew = 0.38 A/h

-1" Dew = 0.25 A/h

======== 1.57 A/h

About 6A I need. Plus 2A to spare :)

If you need fewer amps a 12V laptop brick might work.

The key word missing from the product description is 'regulated'.

So you can't be sure if the output is 9V off load dropping to 5V on load.

High voltage can damage the electronics.

Also the description doesn't say 'unregulated'.

So you can't be certain the above will happen.

Reading the reviews, it appears to be a switched mode (nothing to do with the voltage selection) power supply, so should give a clean and well regulated output voltage. But I would not use it without checking it's performance. Expensive equipment is easily damaged.

However, the reviews also contain a high number of reports suggesting the connectors are not that good, and a high incidence of complete failures.

If you do go for this kit, then cover the voltage selector with tape, and take steps to ensure the polarity reverse can't be operated. Although it is not clear from the description, usually polarity is swapped by turning the equipment connector through 180deg. You don't want things coming apart in use.

Perhaps not the best choice for use in the dark until you done these mods.

The best thing to do is invest a tenner or so in a multimeter.

Not only will it tell you if any power supply you may buy is suitable, it will check fuses, help locate dodgy connections, check bulbs for continuity, show whether batteries are in a decent state, tell which way round an led should go, etc, etc, etc.

I'd go for a different power adapter. I wouldn't go for anything less then 2A for sure. I'm running my HEQ5 on a 3A 12v regulated power. Tried with a cheap 2A, but voltage jumped up and down when motors started moving at high speed, and mount started flashing indicating low voltage. So, but a good one, it doesn't cost much more, and you know you will both have enough power, and not damage the mount/controller.

I can't help it, I'm impatient at the best of times so I bought this one on Saturday - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9829701.htm - and nervously tried it out last night. Thought I'd blown it when the LED didn't come on but found that I just needed to reverse the polarity. It then ran the mount quite happily for about 90 minutes before the clouds rolled in. Phew! Will see if I run into amperage problems with the guidance setup when I get a chance to test that properly.

You are very fortunate that the reversed polarity didn't kill the drive box.

A multimeter would have prevented this error.

Don't forget you now have potentially lethal mains electricity in the garden, at times when condensation is expected.

That is a fair point - I do use an RCD safety adapter as the extension lead is used for all sorts of other stuff in the garden. I could make sure all the external electrical sockets and control boxes are covered to avoid dewing as I'm only planning to use this setup for guided AP rather than viewing or webcam imaging.

I honestly have no idea how to use a multimeter. Obviously something I should look into!

Archived