Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice on first Scope

Hi , I've been "round the block" with scopes and have finally settled on a 200p on an eq5 mount , but already there is a yearning to add after market motors , and maybe an upgraded focuser oh and definitely a right angle finder ...etc etc . There is never enough money and always too many things to buy , so , i'm determined not to go crazy buying all sorts of accessories ( easy to write and say ) . Happy for you David that you now have your scope . I think the main accessory that we all need but doesn't cost anything are clear skies , which are at a premium in our country . There is only so many times one can look at YouTube vids and read Turn Left At Orion lol .  :) 

On 03/01/2021 at 12:09, davidmaiden18183 said:

We are only staring so not looking for top draw accessories, but something or fair quality for a starter. Still I am a novice an choosing the right and suitable accessories is something I am not confident with yet. So I would greatly appreciate any recommendations (or links) to filters, a Barlow lens or anything else you recommend for us.

I'd very much recommend a dual 1.5x/2x model as this gives much more flexibility.  Not all 2x Barlows allow this, but the ones that do so don't cost any more.  These dual models are sold as 2x Barlows, but some 2x models can also be used at 1.5x.  These ones allow the black lens cell to be unscrewed from the body of the Barlow and then screwed into the filter thread at the bottom of an eyepiece.  Very often this won't be in the blurb, but on their website the US retailer Agena Astro states whether this can be done or not under the specifications.  I'd also add that the 2x Orion Shorty Barlow that Agena doesn't sell can also be used at 1.5x.  The amplification factors are only approximate as it varies with the eyepiece used, depending where the focal plane of the eyepiece is located.

I'd use the 2x option on your scope on nights when the atmosphere is steady.  However, in the UK we're frequently under the jetstream, which means that the atmosphere is then more unsteady.  Then the 1.5x option on the Barlow would be a better choice. 

Most if not all of these Barlows are identical except for the name.  The forum sponsor, First light Optics, does an excellent one in their Astro Essentials range that even has a T thread at the top for attaching a camera.  The cost is only £25.  Go to https://www.firstlightoptics.com/barlows/astro-essentials-125-2x-barlow-with-t-thread.html

Thanks Second Time Round

I have looked at that Barlow at FLO. I wasn’t aware of the 1.5x so I’ll have to look at that. 

I have been looking at this set last week. 

Celestron 94307 AstroMaster Telescope Accessory Kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004KMC0UC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_woT-FbMAJMS4S?psc=1

My Heritage 150P dobsonian came with. 10mm & 25mm lens.

This has a x2 Barlow, a 15mm and 6mm so all together I feel it gives me some good magnifications options. 

not sure if the Barlow can be used at x1.5 as

I know they are by no means the best eyepieces but as long as they would be appropriate for someone starting out I would be happy with it.

I know I need a moon filter, but the other filters I’m sure would soon prove useful. 

Appreciate any thoughts on the set I posted. 

Edited by davidmaiden18183

52 minutes ago, davidmaiden18183 said:

I have been looking at this set last week. 

Celestron 94307 AstroMaster Telescope Accessory Kit

The barlow in that set looks to be the same one as the astro essentials one suggested earlier. For the additional £40 you get a couple of Plossl eyepieces and basic filters. Price wise, that's not bad for what you are getting but beware that the 6mm will have incredibly short eye relief, somewhere in the region of 4mm, so your eyelashes will be brushing the lens, and this is not going to be comfortable over long periods of time. In addition, the incredibly small eye lens will be very prone to dewing. Of the filters the moon filter may be useful but the coloured filters are generally not useful in my experience. I have a set of coloured filters, but they don't even make it into the eyepiece case, they're just stored in a drawer. In fact the best use of the red filter is probably to stick it to the end of a cheap LED torch to make a red light torch so that you do not ruin your dark adaption when observing.

Given the short eye relief of the 6mm, you may find that in reality by buying that set you are paying £40 for a cheap 15mm Plossl, which is overpriced. For anything shorter than say 10mm, I would avoid Plossls and similar eyepieces, and look for something designed for long(er) eye relief. Cheaper examples of this are the BST Starguider, Celestron X-Cel LX and Skywatcher et al "Planetary" ranges. You would also probably soon want to upgrade at least the 10mm that was supplied with the scope so I would suggest looking for either 10 and 7mm eyepieces or 12 and 8/9mm eyepieces, plus a 2X barlow as a basic set for your scope assuming you keep the supplied 25mm.