Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

£10 10x40 eBay monocular as finder scope? Any experiences?

Building an 8.5" f/7.6 newt and looking for a suitable (or semi-suitable) finder. For cheap.

Found several sellers on eBay offering 10x40 compact monoculars (HK/China, obviously) for <£10 delivered. Seems to be one of the largest aperture/lowest mag monoculars available. Blue primary coating.

Anyone dared to try one of these out?

I'm figuring aperture is good, mag/fov appropriate, and image clarity irrelevant... Am I missing anything? Lack of right-angle might be a pain...

For the big scope, I'll get about 0.9 deg TFOV with my 30mm Plossl, and maybe up to 1.6 deg with a SWA 38mm 2". I'll look at modifying this monocular when I get it but going from a 5-6 deg finder to 0.9-1.6 deg scope view might be ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice little monocular for <£10. Significantly brighter terrestrial observation compared with my Zeiss 7x21. Nothing to see above but clouds tonight, though.

Marked as Bushnell 10x40 85M/1000M.

Disassembles easily suggesting the addition of cross hairs should be possible, but reassembly required some trial and error to restore the appropriate focal range. The fat-end shroud unscrews but does not come clean off. The part to which the lens is mounted then unscrews from a female-threaded friction-fit slider located in the end of the barrel. The field stop is at the other end of that sliding bit. Not a great description, but it comes apart - that's the main thing.

Focuser is very smooth. Feels very robust, a nice weight and rubber grip is comfortable (as far as it can be ;)). Eye relief is not great, though the eye cup does fold, but not readily - I have a feeling it would deteriorate quickly with repeated use. Comes with a lanyard and a case but I appear to have lost the lanyard somewhere, already.

Somehow mounted to one of those cheap flexible leg tripods, this would make an absolutely excellent purchase for kids - so often the little telescopes that you see kids run around with are rubbish, but they love them! They'd love of one these more!

As a cheap alternative to a 9x50 finder, it's perhaps not ideal. But it's £9 very well spent, in my opinion. I'd recommend this budget piece to anyone with a pocket. :D

• 1 month later...

I've finally mounted one of these to my scope - I had to build the scope first! It's mounted with a couple of stiff springs, two captive bolts and two wing nuts - and a zip tie.

It got me Panstarrs last weekend - right down low above a neighbours garage. I'd have never found it in the scope (0.9deg TFOV) and it was not visible to the naked eye. The finder found it and centered it in the scope no bother. I could take it apart again and add crosshairs but I don't feel the need yet.

There is at least one other variety of 10x40 monocular on eBay at the moment - completely rubber clad, knobbly body instead of the moulded grip on this one. They're about a pound cheaper but the build quality is not the same, field stop slightly smaller, eyecup poorer, etc. I've currently got that one with a solar filter on the front of it - there's also a 16x40, I think, which would be better for that.

If you're getting one, get one that looks like this one.

post-27136-0-37473700-1365189334_thumb.j

Anyway, just though I'd give this wee update - as a cheap finder scope, it's two thumbs up! :D

Archived