Mount 'base'?

Hi,

Every time I get my ‘scope out it takes me ages to level, align and generally get ready before I can do anything ‘exciting’. I have to take it to a patch of communal grass about 50ft from the house so every time I position it it’s in a slightly different place, I’m sure you get the idea. If only I could ‘mark’ the ground or do something so I knew where to put the tripod legs every time!

I can’t be the only with this problem (I hope) – any suggestions? What does everyone else do?

cheers,

Matt

The trouble you will run into is what you can do on communal grass.

Normally I would suggest putting some paving slabs down, aligning and marking the slabs where the legs sit and drilling thus ensuring repeatability, but as I said, on communal grass this might not be possible.

Slight deviation but along the same lines. Anybody have any ideas about a similar way to do this on patio slabs? I use an NEQ6 pro an 200P. Any ready made, bolt down "feet" that I can drill into the patio so that I can put the tripod straight into them and know that I am pretty much polar aligned? Thanks :) Sorry for thread hijack-didn't think it warranted a separate thread :)

Slight deviation but along the same lines. Anybody have any ideas about a similar way to do this on patio slabs? I use an NEQ6 pro an 200P. Any ready made, bolt down "feet" that I can drill into the patio so that I can put the tripod straight into them and know that I am pretty much polar aligned? Thanks :) Sorry for thread hijack-didn't think it warranted a separate thread :)

I believe Steve Ward just drilled three holes in the slabs and the tripod feet just drop into them.

James

no need for bolt down feet. As I said above set up and align. Mark you tripod feet and drill some holes to sit the tips of the tripod into, job done.

That's certainly a simple way to do it and very effective. I just had the idea as when I bought the NEQ6 (very recently) I noticed that the guy I bought it from had some quite aesthetically pleasing bolt down "feet" for want of a better word that were circular and had a recess in the centre that accepted the spikes of the tripod feet. I should have asked him where he got them from. I think I just like the idea of the feet ether as they are more aesthetically pleasing. The hole drilling idea is certainly functional. Thanks guys :)

An even cheeper solution is 3 plastic tent pegs , they are flush with the ground and like already said here , just put a small dimple in the center with about a 1/2 inch drill to allign the tripod feet up to .

I use these down here , about 75c each , wont rust and are a bright orange colour so easy to find .

Brian.

Archived