NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Unable to reach focus.

So.. yea. I've already read about this being a common issue on some newtonians. However, reason this bugs me a bit is cause the one I bought from teleskop-service was supposed to be "ready for astrophotography".

However, using my Canon T2i (which doesn't really have a thicker body than any dSLR out there), I'm unable to reach focus when equipping it with a T-ring and the Coma Corrector that came with the reflector.

If I detach the T-ring and just hold my camera to the focuser, I'm able to get focus. So the thickness of the T-ring makes it pretty much unable to get close enough for focus.

Here's an image of my focuser:

2nl8g0k.jpg

I fear I don't have any other option than A. buying a low-profile focuser, which probably costs the same as the telescope. Or B. move the primary mirror forward 1 cm or so.

Any tips? I dislike both of those options, mostly cause it was supposed to be ready for dSLR's as stated on the item page on their website.

I am currently emailing them, however, I'm not sure there's much they can do about it, or if I can even ship it back to them.

That may be worth trying - I recall the focussers on Skywatcher newts used to work that way, and it's hard to imagine that TS would sell a scope specifically for AP that can't come to focus with a DSLR without substantial modification. But unless the eyepiece holder comes off quite easily, my inclination would be to await a reply from TS.

I agree with Ludd. I have bought 2 scopes from TS a 60mm Quadruplet astrograph, and an 80mm triplet apo astrograph. I have had no problems reaching focus on what ever camera I have attatched to the scopes. I did phone TS in Germany before I bought the original scope, and they were brilliant, and spoke perfect English. I would advise you give them a ring, im sure they will be able to sort out your focus issues. Grant...... Cornwall...

Yea, well.. >< Since I'm such a beginner, I wasn't able to get my mirror as close as it could go using the collimation screws. After I tried again today, I managed to get it in focus. At least it works now, even though I feel a bit stupid after emailing them..

Replied to them and said sorry for bothering etc. though.

But yay ;)

Yea, well.. >< Since I'm such a beginner, I wasn't able to get my mirror as close as it could go using the collimation screws. After I tried again today, I managed to get it in focus. At least it works now, even though I feel a bit stupid after emailing them..

Replied to them and said sorry for bothering etc. though.

But yay ;)

Wouldnt worry. I spent 6 months stripping apart, rebuilding, modding a scope etc until I twigged I needed spacers on the coma corrector. We all do something daft - just some of us don't seem to learn from our own mistakes. ...... :-(

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Wouldnt worry. I spent 6 months stripping apart, rebuilding, modding a scope etc until I twigged I needed spacers on the coma corrector. We all do something daft - just some of us don't seem to learn from our own mistakes. ...... :-(

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Good to hear I'm not alone. I love learning from my mistakes, that's part of the fun! ;)

Archived