Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Spacing of scope rings

I bought a cg-5 mount second hand and with the mount came a dovetail from a celestron c9.25 I think. I have a 8" newt, f5. I have used this dovetail to mount the scope to, but obviously the scope rings are quite close together.

I have run through balancing the scope using the astro shed video on YouTube as a guide. It has balanced ok, though I will need to redo it as there are a couple more small items to add to the setup.

As having the rings close-ish together going to cause me any other problems I'm not foreseeing?

I'd work with what you have....maybe later when you consider imaging etc the tube sag or vibration may push you to consider a longer more rigid dovetail.

In the meantime - enjoy!

I was hoping someone would say something along those lines! I'll measure the distance tomorrow but I think it's roughly an 8" gap. Anyway it's holding ok and it balanced up alright too so I'll probably stick with it as is. My wallet could do with a bit of a rest! :grin:

agree work with what you have to start with, later moving the rings further apart will help rigidity, but this can be achieved at a lower cost by getting a good piece of aluminium bar I used 80mm by 12mm and 500mm long for my 10" and fastening the rings to it and the dovetail to its base. Cost from ebay was about £12 you will need a tap and die set.

Remember the weight will add about a kg to the scope but the gain with mine outweighed the effect of the extra load on the mount.

Archived