Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Autoguiding with iPad/iPod

Welrod50

Folks, I did a search for this first but got no results, so here goes...

I know that lots of people use laptops for autoguiding, but is there any software for Apple devices which would allow some sort of guide camera to be used with an ipad or ipod? I ask as I can't think of anything more convenient than attaching a guide scope to an ipad and using software to auto guide this way?

Am I thinking along the right lines or not?

Any advice greatly appreciated peeps :)

Stay safe in the snow!!

OK thanks for that. I see it will work on Mac operating system. Will this also support iPad?

What about a small notebook using Android? I haven't got a guide set up yet but I'm thinking about getting a small webcam or similar if that's suitable and running it through a small, inexpensive and easy to transport ipad/netbook.

I'm sure this has been asked before, so I apologise all if I am going over old ground :)

Thanks for the help!!

I can recommend the skywatcher synguider no computer required I think it works great with ST80 scope for guiding I find a star in the parafocal 10mm eyepiece, if you can see it you can pretty much guide on it. I've had 10 minute subs all night guiding on 9.5mag star. It can take some getting used to and the initial noise settings are way to high so the filter most stars out but once you get them set it remembers and you can be guiding within minutes

Regards

Dareen

Synguider sounds very interesting! I will take a look. Thanks!

I take it software is in built?

Sorry to be so dull, but I always thought you needed a computer based hardware wired into the guide port running tracking software or similar.

The Synguider is a very capable bit of kit , I use one myself .

Gives me 20 minute subs consistently , never needed to push it longer with the DSLR to be honest , but I may try and push it further as a test.

Example of a 1200s shot with the SW ED80Pro + 1000D.

M311200sP1200.png

Archived