NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

attempting to find my remaining messiers tonite

Robstargazer15

M83 was found with heavy light pollution, low altitude, a dead goto drive, and dead telescope batteries. And what i get in return, numb right hand fingers and strained eyes.

My dads house is light pollution free. But my grandmas house is in the middle of Grove Hill, and observing here is terrible. I feel bad for the telescope

Good luck. Completing the list is a great accomplishment...but then brings on the inevitable question of which list is next. It's not the end...just the start of a new observing list.

Happy hunting.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

After M83 & M102, 7 other messiers have to be found to complete the catalog.

NGC is next, then the Caldwells.

P.S Matt, did you get confused when at the topics opening sentence, when i said "10 to go"???

I was wondering where you got M10 from, and it hit me.

The phrase meant 10 messiers left to find. Now eight remain

If you were wondering,i found M10 in July, 2011.rarely at the time, the scopes goto drive worked for the first and only time to help me find M10 and M14.

The goto drive has never found a messier since. I use geometric methods of finding objects.

Clear skies to all

I would go for Caldwells and then the Herschel 400 or do them simultaneously. Works for me. All NGCs is a VERY tall order. I also added the Brightest 100 Planetaries: well worth it, and you have already got a few. The nice things about most planetaries is that they can be found quite readily in mediocre conditions LP-wise. Many have high surface brightness. Another good list is the Revised Shapley-Ames Catalogue of bright galaxies. That is keeping me happy for many a night now. There is an online version here, but I got an ex-library hardback second-hand for very little via Barnes and Noble.

Archived