Absolute Beginner looking for advice please.

Hello!

first and foremost, I am an absolute beginner when it comes to Astronomy.

I was bought a Celestron Firstscope 76mm as a "joke" Christmas present from a friend. Even though the quality of it is not amazing, a few nights ago I started to play around and saw Jupiter plus four of her moons, and at that point I was pretty hooked.

Now I thought I would take it a little more seriously, so I downloaded stellarium and started to learn my way around the sky a bit.

I can find Jupiter, Sirius and Rigel now without having to open up the laptop every two minute's, and for the first time tonight I had a good look at the moon.

But already I have got into a bit of a routine. (star hop around Orion, have a look at Jupiter, then come in from the cold)

I've had a go at M45 but obviously my equipment isn't really designed for the deep sky stuff, and though it's nice looking at all the pricks of light that cannot be seen with the Mark 1 eyeball, I really have no idea what i'm looking at as it were.

I don't really have the cash to buy a better Telescope, and to be honest I would like to see exactly what I can do with this little one before upgrading.

So my question is, what would you recommend should be my next step?

Thanks all for reading.

A book would be a good idea. Turn Left at Orion gets a lot of plaudits as does The backyard Astronomer's Guide. Neither of these are going to break the bank, but they'll give you a good overview of amateur astronomy and observing. You should also read the beginners sections attached to these forums, especially the piece by Alan MacRobert.

A book would be a good idea. Turn Left at Orion gets a lot of plaudits as does The backyard Astronomer's Guide. Neither of these are going to break the bank, but they'll give you a good overview of amateur astronomy and observing. You should also read the beginners sections attached to these forums, especially the piece by Alan MacRobert.

+1 on the Turn Left at Orion....good intro section discussion on telescopes etc, then what can be seen during different parts of the year. it then breaks these down by the types of scopes....dont buy an electronic version though. buy the 'real' thing. 4th edition is spiral bund so you can take it outside with you (though you will need a red torch as well)...they mention using an ordinary torch, and painting the lens with nail varnish...though never tried this!

Hi Black Knight and welcome to forum,

Agree with all the comments above, especially Turn Left at Orion as essential reading - not sure where you are located in cornwall, but would also recommend finding a nice secluded dark spot (should be spoiled for choice) - this makes a massive difference to how much you will see. Other than if you start to feel the urge to spend, ask or read here first for some good advice and keep an eye on the s/h market.

Regards - Jake

For the scope I suspect that the things to look for are clusters, sort find Orions Belt and if you go left to right you get to a big orange star called Aldebaran which has a bunch of stars around it called the Hyades Cluster then keep going and you meet up with the Pleiades (Open Cluster).

Clusters are as implied close grouping of stars, as such they are reasonably big and reasonably bright - two very useful attributes for a small scope.

Get a suitable star map (book) for the constellations, and go enter "list of messier objects" into a search engine, click on the wikipedia entry then click on the top column that has the title Type. This will sort them by type so Globular Clusters and Open Cluster are all together. Then locate the constellation they are in and head out to freeze and find a few. If you get The Monthly Sky Guide that gives all the Messiers in each constellation and each month give a prominemt constellation. Simple idea is pick whichever is the monthly constellation offering and go find them in that.

Next is I suppose double stars.

Try this website for pretty ones:

DVAA

Simply a list of double stars with a significant colour difference, but nicer the 2 of the same colour.

Back Yard Astronomer's guide - another endorsement here. By far the most comprehensive, readable, intelligent, clear, wonderfully illustrated guide to everything you need. Sound advice and proper critiques of gear to avoid as well as recommended stuff. On Amazon for a knock down price...in hardback and well-bound.

Hello!

first and foremost, I am an absolute beginner when it comes to Astronomy.

I was bought a Celestron Firstscope 76mm as a "joke" Christmas present from a friend. Even though the quality of it is not amazing, a few nights ago I started to play around and saw Jupiter plus four of her moons, and at that point I was pretty hooked.

Now I thought I would take it a little more seriously, so I downloaded stellarium and started to learn my way around the sky a bit.

Hello.

It's important to choose targets that suits your equipment, regardless how humble that equipment might be. A sure way to be disappointed or at least underwhelmed is to use the wrong tool for the wrong job. Assuming you are talking about the 76/300 mini-dob: you have a "fast" scope suitable for wide angle views. If the specs are correct you got a 20mm eyepiece with it, which should give you a true field of view of about 3 degrees (assuming 50 AFOV for the eyepiece).

What this means is that for example the Pleiades will fit very well into that view with enough context, so that is a perfect target for you, +1 on that recommendation.

Also, don't disregard the moon. It is close and bright, which is a good thing. Again assuming that the scope specs I am reading are correct, you would also have got a 4mm eyepiece with it. This would be good for lunar observing, producing a magnification of 75x and a view of 0.6 degrees. Since the full moon is 0.5 degrees you can just fit it in there.

Do not be disheartened because your scope is a modest one! Use the wide views to learn your way around the skies, pick targets that suit your gear and enjoy.

Steve

Thank you everyone for your kind replies, I have never been on a forum with so many people willing to give clear and concise advice to someone who really knows nothing about the hobby. I'm reading and google'ing the advice from everyone in this thread, so thanks again!

I have Turn Right At Orion and Backyard Astronomer on my Amazon wish list and they purchased very soon, I've read a few reviews on Turn Right At Orion and almost everyone is in agreement that it is the best place to start for a "greenhorn" like me.

Hello.

It's important to choose targets that suits your equipment, regardless how humble that equipment might be. A sure way to be disappointed or at least underwhelmed is to use the wrong tool for the wrong job. Assuming you are talking about the 76/300 mini-dob: you have a "fast" scope suitable for wide angle views. If the specs are correct you got a 20mm eyepiece with it, which should give you a true field of view of about 3 degrees (assuming 50 AFOV for the eyepiece).

What this means is that for example the Pleiades will fit very well into that view with enough context, so that is a perfect target for you, +1 on that recommendation.

Also, don't disregard the moon. It is close and bright, which is a good thing. Again assuming that the scope specs I am reading are correct, you would also have got a 4mm eyepiece with it. This would be good for lunar observing, producing a magnification of 75x and a view of 0.6 degrees. Since the full moon is 0.5 degrees you can just fit it in there.

Do not be disheartened because your scope is a modest one! Use the wide views to learn your way around the skies, pick targets that suit your gear and enjoy.

Steve

I didn't understand everything you have just said there Steve (but I think I get the gist.), sorry about that. But you are 100% correct with the eye pieces and telescope size. I did have a nice look at the moon on the 20th (no clear skies since then) using the 4mm lens, and the detail of the craters was simply stunning, I discounted the moon at first, but with so much detail I don't think I could ever get bored, there is always something new to see. (or at least for the moment.) I have certainly stopped calling it the "joke" present, obviously I have no other 'scopes to compare it too, but I am very happy with what I can see, and have no intentions of upgrading yet.

Oh and you owe your friend a warm thank you. Introducing someone to astronomy, whether intentional or accidental, is a beautiful thing :smiley:

Very much so, he earned his bottle of Glenlivet this year I can tell you.

Thanks again to everyone, you have all been so welcoming.

The Moon's probably the most detailed half-degree patch of the sky after all. (Well, the Sun might give it a run for its money, but you'll need a filter for that.) I can see why it was Sir Patrick Moore's favourite object.

I've not tried this scope myself but I expect that at low power it will perform similarly to a binocular, so you might look at targets recommended for such. Of course you have the option of higher power with the scope.

As for targets, well M36, 37, and 38 are a trio of open clusters in Auriga. At 15x they will probably look like faint fuzzies with a few bright stars prominent, while 75x should resolve them while still framing them OK.

Hello. I actually just went and bought that little celestron firstscope as a present for myself. :laugh: For one reason or another I have just always wanted one. I think it is WAY better than one would assume by looking at it. So dont sell it short. Even if (when) you upgrade down the road you will be glad to have this one for those quick impromtu observing sessions or just to keep in the car at all times.

Like others have said. Brighter clusters are going to be where it excels, and of course the moon.

I only had a few minutes too run outside yesterday, and wIth the 20mm eyepiece, I was able to get the moon and Jupiter in the same field of view. It totally blew me away. An anmazing site. I do not have the option for that kind of view with a larger scope. It was unbearably cold and windy but I had to try and look at something! Its been cloudy for weeks....was extremely glad I had the FirstScope!

Enjoy it! I know you will. Its a great hobby.

Archived