NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best 32mm

Pig

Hiya, I want to finish my set with a decent 32mm eyepiece (1.25) any suggestions ?

I wouold go to a 40mm but I have been told there is not much point with a 1.25, is this the case ?

Thank you

A 40mm in the 1.25" fitting won't show any more sky than a 32mm can really. For me the 52 degree apparent field of view of the 32mm is more immersive than the narrower 43 degrees of the 40mm.

The best ? - Tele Vue 32mm plossl perhaps. A 32mm GSO plossl is a lot less expensive than the Tele Vue and will perform pretty well too so that might be as good in your F/10 scope.

Edit: well spotted Spec-Chum - looks like you already have one !

There isn't any point with a 1.25" 40mm, no. The TFOV would be the same, and because of the increased magnification, the background sky would be darker with the 32mm.

What's your budget, and aren't you happy with your Plössl?

Yes the one I have seems to be full of something glittery !!!! so I dont want another one of this type. its only a couple of months old.

I'd send it back to the dealer for a replacement - they are not supposed to be full of glitter !

£50 should buy a perfectly good 32mm plossl eyepiece. GSO are a manufacturer but their products are also sold with other branding on them such as Meade, Revelation and others. They cost around £30-£40 new I think. Your current eyepiece might even be a GSO one.

The eyepiece design is called a plossl.

for another option ,unless your unhappy with your x-cels ? what about a 25mm x-cel . at 60 degrees you get a simular view to a 32mm plossl at 50-52 degrees but with a bit higher mag.

thats what id go for ( if the price was right of course)

other than that i had good views with a meade 4000 series plossl.

Okies guys its a celestron but not the omni - its only £24 new.

The glittery stuff is the white paint used to identify it with the size etc all of it has now come off and gone inside the barrel and has covered the outside of the lens.

Ive also just noticed the lens up inside the barrel has got some light circular scratches that you can see when you catch it in the light, so I think this is a cheap copy or maybe second hand.

Rory I have the 24mm zoom and im happy with that and dont really want to get the same size. Thank you all the same. I dint realise How cheap the Telvue 32's are compared to their other sizes so I think ill go for one of them ( about £120 from greenwitch) Unless you guys know a better one.

i dont think a 24mm fov with the zoom is quite the same as 25mm 60 degree x-cel. youd have to do the maths( i.e converting the a.f.o.v /magnification ) to find what true field of view is, but im sure the its close to a 32mm standard plossl .

i think my 25mm x-cel was something like 1.25 degree tfov and the 32mm meade i had gave 1.33.

although i see your looking at some green . ohhh nooo the slippery slope :grin:

Very true about the fov it is limited on the zoom - I hadn't thought of that :smiley: - I may go with the X-cel 24 as I am very happy with the others and it half the price of the Televue.

I fell off the slippery slope ages ago :rolleyes:

£50 should buy a perfectly good 32mm plossl eyepiece. GSO are a manufacturer but their products are also sold with other branding on them such as Meade, Revelation and others. They cost around £30-£40 new I think. Your current eyepiece might even be a GSO one.

The eyepiece design is called a plossl.

Thank you John

Very true about the fov it is limited on the zoom - I hadn't thought of that :smiley: - I may go with the X-cel 24 as I am very happy with the others and it half the price of the Televue.

I fell off the slippery slope ages ago :rolleyes:

maybe get a second opinion though, dont quote me on my useless maths. but realisticly your getting the same f.o.v but a bit more magnification with it. BUT ive seen some prices for x-cels going through the roof lately. but s/h can be got for £40-£50.

stellarium helps if you put potential eyepieces in the occular section and see what views you get.

.... I dint realise How cheap the Telvue 32's are compared to their other sizes so I think ill go for one of them ( about £120 from greenwitch) Unless you guys know a better one.

Not often you hear Tele Vue referred to as cheap :smiley:

The 25mm Xcel LX as rory suggested will get you to within a couple of percentage points of the maximum theoretical unvignetted FOV with the C6, and if you like the others you bought then it would seem the logical choice :cool: Oh and it should be parfocal with your other Xcels too.

If you live in a town, then 60x is probably a good minimum to avoid as much sky glow as possible but to see as much FOV as possible, but ymmv. Everywhere is different! I find it a problem below about 70x, but the light pollution is pretty bad here :(

To go much wider you have to switch to 2" eyepieces which is a lot of additional expense for not a lot of gain tbh.

Archived