Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

broken rings and vixen

Hi guys and girls,

Been getting back into the swing of things recently which includes getting a new mount. Said mount finally arrived. I go to mount my newtonian and hit two snags which I need your help on:

- as I went to put the scope in it's mounting rings I see that one of the fixings is broken. Take a look at this:

8396130006_4de2bc6181.jpg

Any ideas on where to source a new fixing, or do I need new rings? If need new rings, where on earth do I find them? FLO doesn't seem to sell them.

- second question. My new mount (iOptron iEQ30) apparently has a 3.5" Vixen attachement. The rings as shown above have something larger. Where would I get a 3.5" Vixen thing (is it called a dovetail?)?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Those are Orion Optics tube rings (they had a close relationship with Vixen stuff for a while). They use standard sash window fasteners which can be bought in just about any DIY shop. They are rather prone to breaking too - I've had two do that to me !

I suspect the other part you need is known as a dovetail bar.

Damn you guys are good. Spot on John, they're Orion Optics for a 9" newtonian. I'll get some sash window fastener. So all I need now is a vixen dovetail bar. Which FLO do sell... So last stupid question for a while. How do I attach the rings to the dovetail bar? The rings are screwed into from the bottom so wouldn't they fowl the dovetail bar going into the mount, or do you put the dovetail into the mount, then screw the rings into the dovetail then the optical tube into the rings?

Orion Optics tube rings usually use an Orion Optics version of the Vixen compatible dovetail bar. It is cast item radiussed to follow the curve of the tube rings so it bolts straight on.

You may be able to bolt a standard dovetail bar onto the rings but this will need a DIY job on the bar to drill and tap a couple of holes at each end spaced to suit the bolts that go through the tube rings.

good news is Orion Optics actually make the part too and so guaranteed to fit.

Yes they make most of the components of their scopes now. Do they have one in stock or will they have to make it ?

Archived