Help required with equipment

Hey Guys,

A family member of mine has just got his first telescope (a celestron) and is shortly about to go out on his first 'star gazing' experience. Just wondered if any experts here could recommend any kits or thing he would need to take out with him. I am looking to buy him a special present to set him on his way to the stars!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

There are a lot of small-ish things that can go a long way... Warm clothes (hat, gloves etc.), red light torch, a planisphere, a copy of something like "Turn Left at Orion", observing stool or chair (people often use drummer's stools or ironing chairs depending on the scope in question).

James

welcome to sgl. without knowing the exact scope and your budget I couldn't recommend eyepieces or anything. But a red light torch would be useful so that they don't wreck their night vision. a guide book may be useful (turn left at orion is recommended for beginners) or if you really want to push the boat out something like this

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-observing-chairs.html.

to be truthful there is so many things he may find useful but until they have tried stargazing they wont know what they need. come to think about it how about a nice warm jacket

Hi, I'd recommend a Philips planisphere for finding his way around the sky - it's a simple kind of map that will work for any time of the year (our local WHSmiths have these at half price at the moment).

Warm clothing - particularly some good thermal socks. Ski jackets are also good and can be picked up for a reasonable price at this time of year from TKMaxx.

Hope he enjoys his first night of stargazing.

Archived