NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binocular solar telescopes

Apologies if this has been asked before but is it possible/wise/credible to have two PST's mounted side by side to utilize as a binocular solar telescope?

As PST's are on sale at the moment I am sorely tempted to purchase another to do this or use the etalon as a double stack on a future stage 2 mod.

Yes, this is possible and easy to do. I made and used one for several years when PST's were first available, the views were outstanding. As they were early PST's they eventually "rusted" and I have now converted them to 100mm and 150mm mods. Using two standard PST etalons as a double stack part of a PST mod is a tricky business to say the least, PM Merlin66 on this one. :smiley:

Thanks everyone. A couple of 15mm plossl's might be in order as well methinks.

Now I just have to work out how to mount them and a system to adjust for pupil distance. Would some sort of rack and pinion setup to move them apart be the best way?

If they are just for your own use then a plate with three holes in line will do. The first to attatch PST no 1, the central hole tapped 1/4 whitworth to fit a camera tripod top and the third hole to fit PST no 2 but slotted to give the required eye separation. :smiley:

Archived