Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

already planning set up two

ok as some may have read i have taken delivery of my first set up the explorer 200p and eq5 mount.. i was planning on buying dual axis drive motors, but i'm now thinking i wont get much use out of this scope for a while until my broken ankle heals , so i'm considering selling a bit of my fishing gear and putting it towards a second scope..to get something i can use on my own

i want a small light fast scope that could be good for planetary and lunar... nothing major or dso as i have the 200p for that..

decisions are as follows from the heritage range..

90mm virtuoso mak

114mm virtuoso dob

130p dob..

i'm seriously considering the mak as it has a tracking system which will help with short range imaging, and (correct me if i'm wrong) i can use for terrestrial viewing and photography ..

i know that the 130p is probably the best option but considering i have a 200p on an eq5 is it worth me buying another newt , all three i can lob in the car or take on holiday with me.. but what would you do.

I wouldnt like to be your wallet, taking a right good beating. There will be no point in a 130 surely, as you have the 200.

I wouldnt be so keen to but another scope in your case, maybe some tweeks n mods on yours, must be plenty to do while you heal

it could be a long time as i've really messed my ankle up , ive got two plates and screws holding my foot on lol...

it's just driving me a little insane ,i know the weather isnt too good now but i'm sure i'll be missing out on clear nights over the next 4-6 months, that i cant use this set up to it's full capacity , outside in the dark..

if i had a smaller scope i could be getting the night sky in my head ready for the big one when i'm all ready.. which looks like it will be early summer.. hopefully by then i will have the summer/wendy/observatory shed where i can sit out and make the most of the 200p.

I am fairly portable now so I am a little biassed but my little apo is giving me a great deal of fun something like this perhaps

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1151_TS-Optics-70mm-F7-ED-Refractor-APO-Telescope---Carbon-Tube---2--Crayford.htmli have the wo66 and its been amazing light and easy so gets used a lot

Another vote for a small(ish) refractor.

If you go for a shorter focal length it is quite portable and not so trying of the mount/tripod.

An 80mm scope with a wide eyepiece gives great views of biggish clusters.

You can of course fasten an 80mm frac on a motorised EQ5 for photography if go in this direction.

The SW200 is pushing stability for photos a little.

You can of course use the frac for on terrestrial viewing. Take it on holiday, etc.

The only 'problem' is that a cheaper frac will give more false colour.

Hope this helps in the wallet emptying decisions!

my wallet is always empty, lol,no as i'm selling a few unwanted fishing bits i do have the money going spare.. it looks like £150 is whats available after the sale..

why would you choose a refractor over a mak/cadadioptric ??

the reason i ask is i will need a light mount to be able to use it comfortably myself so dont want to spend all the money on an OTA as i will have to use the massivley heavy eq-5 , i do like the idea of auto tracking abilities and slow speed slewing (not goto) and i could always get them for the eq-5 at a later date when i eventually get strong enough to use it..

i just want a small scope for putting outside quickly and using it for an hour or so.. and for £150 i think that little virtuoso with auto trak on a dob base would be great and easy to use..

another question does anybody have either model on the virtuoso system dob mount, and is it any good..??

Maks have a long focal length so tend to be good on planetary/lunar. But you need a stable mount to hold the high magnification image.

They are also quite weighty as the size goes up.

With a refractor you can choose one with shorter focal length. Depending which you choose, what options you have on focusser, etc, the weight is going to be low. You can get away with a camera tripod for low magnification and move up from there on mount rigidity.

With, for example Skywatcher, you have range of refractors from an ST80 upwards in lens size and quality to the ED and Equinox range.

An 80mm scope is going to be fine on an Eq3 mount visually. A (more rigid) motorised EQ5 will be good for photography.

Or you could use an alt/az mount to avoid the counterweight needed on the EQ3.

Hope this is useful.

My goodness... well if nothing else I admire your fortitude to get on with it!!! :grin:

Go for it son... BUT... I have to ask...

Have you told the missus yet?? :evil:

Didn’t you say that she had to “build your 200 eq5??”

I can just imagine the reaction of my wife...you want what!! Ha ha :eek:

My vote also would go on a small Refractor, nice and portable getting another “newt” is not really worth it as You have the 200... even though no that portable unless you have a heq5 or eq6 in which a std eq5 well as they say ‘Its a breeze’

You could put the “mak” on the mount you have but then its still a lump.

But if you go for the “frac” then hey you can always then use it to watch the guy fishing with the gear you sold him :grin:

Have you thought of getting some tidy bins Instead of a small scope?

Whatever your decision...have fun :p

And don’t go out in the snow!! We are up to 7.5 inches here

I think I've decided to leave it for a bit and as andymac suggested spend it on my set up. I've had a go collapsing and setting it up a few times today on my own and its not that bad as long as the wife is around and doesn't mind carrying it I'll be ok for a session or two.

Im still going to keep an eye out for a bargain frac or mak on ebay those little sporting scopes are having a bid or two lol

I think id be better off getting dual axis motors and a telrad or other finder scope for it.

Cause once i have my heated thermostat controlled shed up the top of the garden ( its not all bad being an electrician) the whole lot will be staying up there.

Archived