Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Setting up Skymax 127 MAK goto

Hi - hope there are people out there with the same scope as mine who can help me get started.

I have a car jump starter for power and don't intend using batteries. I have updated the firmware on the handset ( It came with 1.7 ) I have found some films on Utube and am now confused as I find the instructions somewhat confusing. Like why include a compass? Do you need it for setting up?

I admit to being very new to astonomy, but do recognise Orion and Ursa Major without any difficulty. Other bright stars I am not sure about. I have Stellarium and am trying to familiarise myself with the sky - but looking on a computer and then going outside - well the scales appear somewhat different ! I am awaiting delivery of a Phillips Planisphere.

So what I need is advise on the best method for setting up the scope. I have a garmin to get my co-ordinates, and understand about getting the time zone, daylight saving, and coords and date in the right format (way round). It is the actual bit after that I need advise on. What is the best lens to start with? How high should the tripod be? Where should the scope be in relation to the dovetail mount (scared me silly fitting it as it seemed so loose before tightening the screw ) They talk about balance......further forward - middle ?? Should you start facing north?

Please point me to other posts if the answers have already been given.

Many thanks. The clouds came in last night and I didn't get a chance to get set up.

Hi - hope there are people out there with the same scope as mine who can help me get started.

I have a car jump starter for power and don't intend using batteries. I have updated the firmware on the handset ( It came with 1.7 ) I have found some films on Utube and am now confused as I find the instructions somewhat confusing. Like why include a compass? Do you need it for setting up?

I admit to being very new to astonomy, but do recognise Orion and Ursa Major without any difficulty. Other bright stars I am not sure about. I have Stellarium and am trying to familiarise myself with the sky - but looking on a computer and then going outside - well the scales appear somewhat different ! I am awaiting delivery of a Phillips Planisphere.

So what I need is advise on the best method for setting up the scope. I have a garmin to get my co-ordinates, and understand about getting the time zone, daylight saving, and coords and date in the right format (way round). It is the actual bit after that I need advise on. What is the best lens to start with? How high should the tripod be? Where should the scope be in relation to the dovetail mount (scared me silly fitting it as it seemed so loose before tightening the screw ) They talk about balance......further forward - middle ?? Should you start facing north?

Please point me to other posts if the answers have already been given.

Many thanks. The clouds came in last night and I didn't get a chance to get set up.

Hi,

I used to have one of these so I'll try and help.

First, choose one of the tripod legs and mark a little 'N' on it so it can act as North and point this as close as you can in the direction of North. Extend the legs to a comfortable viewing height but NOT all the way up.

With the head of the mount 'off'... put a spirit level across the top in both directions and level the mount as best you can. Do not rely on the bubble.

Now put the mount head on with the dovetail to the right and pointing north. Carefully add the OTA and balance it in the dovetail taking into account tha additional weight of eyepieces etc.(this can be adjusted as you go to fine tune so just start roughly in the centre of the dovetail).

It seems that you have the handset pretty much sussed so at this point you should do at least a 2 star alignment (the 2 stars should be as far seperated in the sky as possible)

Once aligned and balanced, park the scope to the 'Home' position (DO NOT POWER OFF) and mark a line on the mount head and base and also where your balance point is on the dovetail with a white or silver paint pen.

Everytime you set up in future use the same leg as North and put the mount head on aligning your marks and you should be able to either 'Start from park' position or at least align pretty quickly.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice. It is going to be cloudy for a while I note....... however, I am not too far from Todmorden, so perhaps a visit would be a good idea. What are the protocols?

Hi Kamet,

Your Skywatcher 127 GOTO is almost identical to my Celestron 127 GOTO, the handset software is different, so I should be able to help.

You don't need a compass and you don't need to mark any positions on your scope/mount/tripod as you will need to align every time you use it.

Best Eyepiece: Always start with the lowest power eyepiece, until you are sure you have your target centred in your field of view. Once your target is centred you can move to a higher power eyepiece. In the default 127 pack the low power eyepiece is the one labelled 25mm, and the high power is labelled 10mm.

Tripod Height: You have to balance this as lower tripod = more stable = less comfortable to use the telescope. I usually extend about 75% of the maximum height.

Scope/Mount Position: You don't need to be too fussy about this. I usually have the centre-point of the mount about two-thirds of the way from the front of the scope to the focuser end. Once you have the diagonal and eyepiece fitted, that end will be heaviest.

All you really have to do is get it somewhat like it is in the pictures in the manual, align and enjoy.

Damien

Archived