Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focusing

Without Bahtinov mask: Use live view to aim at a bright star, turn up digital zoom function to maximum and focus until star is smallest.

This doesn't work. It's a very rough guide at best. We can be sure of this because, when refining focus using a software tool which measures the width of the star at half its maximum brightness (FWHM) considerable reducions in measured diameter are imperceptible on the view of a zoomed-in star. Focus is absurdly critical in imaging and visual estimates simply don't get near to what is possible. The faster the focal ratio the shallower the depth of focal plane. In an F5 Newt it's shallow. In a Hyperstar it's terrifyingly shallow!! The effect of tight focus in imaging is enormous. My own routine is Bahtinov refined by FWHM. The length of sub exposure used to study the star's focus is almso important. I think around 3 seconds is optimal since it lets the vagaries of the seeing average about a bit. In 1 sec subs the star bounces around a lot and you learn very little. If you are oversampled you get a more consistent result and if undersampled a rather wild one.

A Y mask is a decent alternative to a Bahtinov and takes 2 minutes to make at almost no expense.

Olly

Buy or make yourself a Bahtinov as stated previously and take several shots until you get the focus right. Thats how I do it. Once you get a hang of it it'll only take you a couple of minutes to get it right.

If you have a laptop attached to the camera you can use http://www.digicamcontrol.com/ to control your Nikon and view the images on the screen, it'll make the process even easier.

/Patrik

Archived