Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

my spidy sense is tingling

Hi guys,

I've been looking on ABS for a new mount. I've found this one and am working to an agreement with the seller. However, he's asking for a bank or paypal transfer today rather than collection. That's got my spidy sense tingling. Anyone know a Marcus from Brockhill Observatory? I've found this website but remain nervous. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

p.s. any thoughts on the IEQ30 mount also appreciated.

Matt

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The AB&S says Midlands, the Brock Hill I get on Google and Google maps is either Essex or Slough area, not Midlands.

The Slough entry has "The Observatory Centre, High St, Slough , SL1 1LE" but that is not the Midlands.

I assume that you wanted to collect and hand over cash? Otherwise they are sensible to not hand you the mount and take a cheque, but if cash then I cannot see why it is a problem if they are genuine.

If they are not genuine then they may not have the mount, it may be in a poor state or damaged - effectively not what you expect.

Found another mention of Brock Hill Observatory but again Berkshire.

That web site mentions a Marcus but the images on the Photos page are not exactly astro related, anyone who has bee to Ayres rock has that one as there are restrictions where you can photograph from. A picture of someone taking a picture - well so what.

Nothing on the about page as in an address or location, and ever had the feeling those pictures are from elsewhere, M42 and The Pleiades looks familiar, Jupiter isn't exactly sharp.

Will agree that something would appear a little amiss.

Have you checked the UKAB&S site they have a warning page and name a good few names and addresses etc used to scam people?

No Marcus as such in the names on the warning page, see that the Obs web page say Marcus Killingsworth / Daniel Killingsworth the name in AB&S says Astro Shed ID of "Marcus Daniel" no mention of Killingworth, could be a shared AstroShed account however. The AB&S item is advertised twice, 4 days apart. The second one is today

Matt

for what it's worth the a couple of those images look very familiar to me as Ronin states. If the seller is genuine then why push for advance payment, inspection of the goods followed by agreed format of payment COD or otherwise seems perfectly reasonable to me. After all £750 is no walk on the park to be parting with. For a 3 month old mount it does certainly seem a good deal, perhaps too good?

I would certainly stick to your guns and push for COD before doing any deal.

For the record the Ioptron 30 seems like a decent mount and certainly would be at £750!

thanks guys. Had a good chat on the phone with him. Seems kosha to be honest and he has a valid reason for some of the strange things. Knew what he was talking about too, so unless he was a real AP guy who is scamming people I think it's legit, which makes this quite a deal.

He is on Astro Shed where he is classed as a trader with a web site of www.Focused-Astronomy.co.uk

Yup, that's him, but it's a personal sale rather than through Focused. I think I've got quite a bargin if this works out <crosses fingers>

I certainly hope he's kosha as I'm waiting on a scope I've bought from him. To be fair his communications have been spot on and they didn't just dry up after I'd paid my money via PayPal. The courier pickup has been delayed owing to the current bad weather which I can well believe, but it should be on its way tomorrow as he's promised to take the scope down to the depot himself and he's adding a losmandy plate to the package to make up for the inconvenience.

I think Brock hill observatory could be his house as I think he has a observatory in his back garden going by some pictures of the scope he sent me.

I also found the link to the astro business he runs. I think I'll be ok with this.

Matt

for what it's worth the a couple of those images look very familiar to me as Ronin states. If the seller is genuine then why push for advance payment, inspection of the goods followed by agreed format of payment COD or otherwise seems perfectly reasonable to me. After all £750 is no walk on the park to be parting with. For a 3 month old mount it does certainly seem a good deal, perhaps too good?

I would certainly stick to your guns and push for COD before doing any deal.

For the record the Ioptron 30 seems like a decent mount and certainly would be at £750!

I'm hoping not too good. Will let you know :)

Sorry, but having an evil mind my first thought was: Do you both have the same tracking number. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hahahhaa, I hope not unless I'm skir lives on my street too! Parcel picked up and due for delivery today so looking good...

Will have to let us know if it arrives as it was advertised :)

is that both of us or just me? Mine didn't get delivered today after all looks like the courier didn't meant to brave the icy roads. :rolleyes:

my god, this is like watching a cliffhanger.........hope it works out. dum, dum dum, dim dum dimmer dummer - cue Eastenders tune.......

it certainly feels like it to me. I can't wait to get hold of the scope so I can get outside setup and seeing stuff. I've been reading LTAO and its getting me properly in the mood to get going!

most people are honest in my experience. I do seem to recall seeing the website linked in the OP from SGL so he may even be a member on here - cannot recall where it was though.

tbh I've not thought him to be other than honest so far, though I could do with a reply to my last e-mail. I'd posted in response to the op just to give them some more background info to be of help.

good stuff :smiley:

Me too, he's been honest, open and communicative in all our dealings. As the advice on ABS says, talk to the person, don't just email. Makes a huge difference knowing the person you're dealing with actually knows what he's talking about, is based in the UK and is active in the online community.

Archived