Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Would this work?

osbourne one-nil

Despite living under some a fairly pristine sky in this part of Cumbria, my domestic observing is hampered by tall trees and stupid sodium street lights as part of the village's long-term plan to banish shadows (so it's harder to tell the living from the un-dead, who make up 50% of the population here). It's not a problem nipping out in the car to get away from these, but then the size of scope does become more of an issue, both in storage and transporting terms.

However, the other day, a farmer friend of mine has offered me the use of a derelict farmhouse which has since been converted into some sort of barn, as a permanent store for a telescope if I was interested. It's location is wonderful, as you can see from the photos (although in the dark this doesn't really matter); a mile from any road, no street lights in sight, 800ft up and very much off the beaten track. It's exactly a mile from my house, or I could even drive to within 200m of it down a farm track.

When I visited at the weekend, I instantly thought about getting myself a nice big 14" or 16" Dobsonian, (or even perhaps even mounted equatorially and I'd just take a battery), and just building a little shed within the barn, and leaving it there, ready for those rare nights when it's clear and there's no Moon. But then I started wondering if such a set-up would work? Would a telescope be happy being stored in a shed in a barn for weeks on end? What would happen at the end of a dewy night when I wanted to put the telescope away? Does it sound feasible?

post-10770-0-25434100-1358237565_thumb.j post-10770-0-58016000-1358237566_thumb.j post-10770-0-02004800-1358237568_thumb.j post-10770-0-47591800-1358237569_thumb.j post-10770-0-31286700-1358237570_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

I think security might be a major problem with the "barn conversion". Telescopes are expensive and with your location details on here someone might try to nick it some cloudy night. However, if you can solve that and do the place up with a large warm room, bed etc. it could even be a really spectacular - "tourist obsy" (except the loo is 15 min walk away!, and there's no power, heating, internet, etc ....).

P

If it were me, I'd just have to use that place for observing. Lots of ways to sort this.........how about -

If you compromise on aperture, say a 10" Dob that fits easily into most cars, then storage issues like damp and theft won't apply as you will keep it at home.

You won't need power either, just organise your kit, get a box for your eyepieces, filters, red torch & star charts, this will simplify fitting it all into the car, that's how I observe remotely from home, I can load up my car in 5 mins. You can dress in your warm layers before you leave.

Lots of us would just love somewhere like that just a short distance from home :laugh:

Regards, Ed.

I think security might be a major problem with the "barn conversion". Telescopes are expensive and with your location details on here someone might try to nick it some cloudy night. However, if you can solve that and do the place up with a large warm room, bed etc. it could even be a really spectacular - "tourist obsy" (except the loo is 15 min walk away!, and there's no power, heating, internet, etc ....).

P

I'd have thought the loo was right next to the shed... :eek: Looks good to me. Humidity would be the thing though, especially in Cumbria. Plentiful use of the gell packs might solve it, or even a solar powered, very low output heater system.

Olly

Dream Telescopes reccomend leaving the OTA cooling fan on 24/7 (keeps insects out too if the fan works through a filter). If you use a solar pannel recharging a small battery then the OTA can be kept insect and water free permanently.

equally.. I'd worry about turning up to find it all gone.

Perhaps a half way measure is a permanent pier to which to can quickly attach an EQ6 or similar.

Derek

Archived