Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I think I'm in love...SW CF10" f/4

Hi there,

trying to get some help that isn't bias.

I've been interested in amateur astronomy for a year now, more precisely in astrophotography. I began with a SW 130/900 f/7 reflector on a EQ2 mount (I know, terrible f ), which I upgraded with an RA motor. With my patience I managed to take some quite good noobie pictures of DSO (M13, M42, M31, M45 etc) but the problem was the poor tracking. 1 out of 3 pictures was not for the trash and I'm talking about exposures of 30-40sec... So i decided I should take my hoby a step forward.

I was adviced to buy a NEQ6 SS pro goto mount and so I did. Let me say here, that I am more than pleased with it!!! Upgraded it with a SW 80/400 refractor for guiding (still haven't bought the cam), but I'm still stuck with a 130/900 OTA...

I must admit I am a reflector lover, but not long ago, some phisics teacher suggested me that I should buy a refractor.

In that time I already had my eye on the SW QUATTRO 10CF... Let me mention, that collimating etc is not a burden for me! Not even the fact that I should buy a CC if buying a newtonian, I'm actually glad, because I've heard that SW CC has a 0.9 reducing factor...

Still he insisted with his idea of me buying a refractor (he is an owner of williams optics refractor, which he got for a funny price). The problem now is that his as well as mine opinions are bias. What am I trying to ask is if it's a good idea to go with the 10CF? Note that I want to have some of good visual views of the sky as well in which I think a 10inch newt. would perform better than an APO refractor with the aperture for the same cash as the newt.

CS, Mare

As you can see I have a dob. The large aperture is king for visual observing.....my understanding is that the mount is the critical factor for astro use but you seem to have that sorted.

Many folks on here use small but high quality refractors which can give wide views. For small faint dsos then a faster system such as an imaging newt might be best...see what others think..

Mark

Although I am a refractor person, I have often read in these threads that a well collimated slow Newtonian will match or surpass an APO on visual, focal reducers can assist where AP is concerned or a dedicated imaging reflector, if you want to go down that route. I am afraid it is a question of Horses for courses, good visual is better through a reflector of substantial aperture, on the other hand, some splendid imaging has been done with the 80mm APO on an EQ5/EQ6 system. One thing though, once you start to go up in aperture in the APO range the cost , no pun intended, becomes astronomical compared to reflectors, even those dedicated to imaging, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Archived