NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie Request

Dizeee

Hi to the Surrey bunch,

Just a request if I may, I have posted up in the newbie forum here as having followed the topic for many years I have decided to get a telescope (hopefully a really decent one) and start to enjoy the topic that I have been most fascinated by but done nothing about. My newbie post is here:

What I am trying to do is see if I can come along to a few meets to be educated and learn a bit about equipment, techniques, anything at all to do with observing. Its dawned on me that in addition to my passion for space I am spoilt for viewing as I have a large sough facing garden with view almost to the horizon and no light pollution. It is long and far away from the house and backs on to a deserted field in the country. I posted a pic of this in the thread above. I have even considered all thing being well to allow use to a local group all things going well.

So if there are any meets I would be welcome along to in the coming weeks please let me know - thanks :-) I am based in Pirbright, Guildford but willing to travel in Surrey.

Hi Dizeee

Weclcome to SGL/ Surrey Observers - everybody is welcome along :smiley: just keep an eye on here for next meet, PM one of the people that are going and can send you directions.

Been a while since some of us have met up due to weather, either way keeping fingers crossed for some clear(er) skies soon! Jamie

Hi there Dizeee and welcome aboard.

When the weather is clear, we meet up at Ranmore Common so not too far. Although, we haven't met up for a while because of the weather!

EDIT...

Just had a read of your other post but didn't reply as I didn't want to confuse things further. Put simply though, no one telescope will tick all of the boxes sadly. When I started, I wanted a scope that did it all but it soon becomes clear that there's more to it than that. There are a few scopes that come close but you may have to prioritise what you want to do eg planetary, deep sky objects, Goto, astrophotography etc. once you have kind of got that nailed down (and a budget) you can start to draw up a short list of scopes. If you have a priority list already then there are loads of people on here that can help guide you. Better still, come out to a meet and look though other people's scopes. That's a sure fire way of finding things out that you might not have thought of eg. can I lift it all? Will my lower back handle the bending down etc.

PS Excellent back garden for observing.

Cheers,

Lee

Hi there Dizeee and welcome aboard.

When the weather is clear, we meet up at Ranmore Common so not too far. Although, we haven't met up for a while because of the weather!

EDIT...

Just had a read of your other post but didn't reply as I didn't want to confuse things further. Put simply though, no one telescope will tick all of the boxes sadly. When I started, I wanted a scope that did it all but it soon becomes clear that there's more to it than that. There are a few scopes that come close but you may have to prioritise what you want to do eg planetary, deep sky objects, Goto, astrophotography etc. once you have kind of got that nailed down (and a budget) you can start to draw up a short list of scopes. If you have a priority list already then there are loads of people on here that can help guide you. Better still, come out to a meet and look though other people's scopes. That's a sure fire way of finding things out that you might not have thought of eg. can I lift it all? Will my lower back handle the bending down etc.

PS Excellent back garden for observing.

Cheers,

Lee

Thanks llebert, yes ultimatley I am really excited about meeting others and being able to be educated about what there is / seeing through the scopes. I will keep a close eye on this forum! Looking forward to coming along to something :-)

Hi Dizeee

Welcome to the Surrey section. Always great to meet more local amateurs. Feel free to pop along to our meets, have a butchers at, and through any kit you want. There is usually a pretty good variety of equipment there. :)

Hope to see ya soon (clear skes pending)

Archived