Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heq5 RA problems

Ryan-y

Today I nervously set about the task of stripping and re-greasing my heq5. To be honest it was a lot more straightforward than I thought, especially thanks to astrobaby's great tutorial. However after putting everything back together and adjusting the worm gears, there seems to be some play in the ra axis.

There dosen't seem to be any play in the motor drive gearing with regards to worm adjustment and there is no backlash whilst using the handset, it feels like it could be coming from somewhere in the shaft, like the black nut with the three grub screws might not be tight enough or something like that.

I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas what could be causing it so I have an idea of what to look for when re-stripping it.

Cheers

Ryan

I agree with Peter, adjusting the play in the RA and DEC worm gear is a must and takes some fiddling to gt it right. Too tight and the motors will stall, too loose and you get a lot of play. I have found that when re-tightening the bolts back down that the play lessens, so adjust with a tiny bit of play before tightening everythign down.

Good Luck and Clear Skies

Paul

Cheers guys, it was the worm gears. I think the problem was the motor was a bit too tight against the worm drive gear, so it was still stalling even though there was a bit of play in the RA, if that makes sense?!

Thanks for the tip Paul, I found that did happen. Nothing more frustrating than getting it perfect, testing it the full 360 only to find it stalling again after everything's back together!

Anyway, it's done now. Just need to wait for clear skies!

Archived