Telescope help

I joined this site yesterday so have not read all the helpful information as of yet.

I have found in the classified an ad for a telescope 'Regent made in Japan. 30-120 x 80 with adjustable tripod' Anyone heard of this and whether it's worth pursuing?

Erm could it be a refractor maybe??? When i looked for choices for my first scope, I decided to go with a reputable brand, i.e celestron, tal, skywatcher, meade, etc.

As for whether it's worth pursuing, that depends on your interests- lunar/planetary or dso's? Purely visual, or you do think you might get interested in photographing your observations later on in time? Post the link to the scope, so other people can see what you've found.

Nat xx

Ok thanks for your replies. Also noticed another one which is a telescope reflector 700/76. I'll locate my local astronomy group and ask one of them.

Good idea.

Before buying a scope, you need an idea of budget and what you want to use it for. Binoculars are an easier way to introduce yourself to Astronomy and they have they added advantage of other use (birdwatching, general purpose etc).

If you really catch the Astronomy bug, scopes can come later.... but invariably in ends in wanting ever larger scopes with more light gathering power (Aperture Fever - which is uncurable). :grin:

Happy hunting!

I would give both of those mentioned a miss Helen. The recommendation is usually a binocular if you are on a tight budget and look towards one of the well known brands in due course.

Welcome to the forum, you will get all the help you need here. :smiley:

Ok thanks for your replies. Also noticed another one which is a telescope reflector 700/76. I'll locate my local astronomy group and ask one of them.

That sounds as if it could be something like this:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5800683.htm

or one that Draper sell under their name but appears to be the same thing. I'm not sure I'd have it unless they were giving it away. When you look at the original selling price of the Celestron one you can get a much, much better telescope for less than that.

James

Archived