Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepieces for SW 150PL

I've got the longer focal length (1200mm) version of the 150P, the 150PL, and as it's my 30th in March I'm toying with ideas of things I could ask for... Currently, I'm thinking of asking for some new eyepieces but I'm not sure what to go for. Primarily, I don't want to spend a fortune on eyepiece(s) that my scope won't do justice. Currently I have the following:

Stock 2x barlow that came with the scope

Stock 10mm that came with the scope

Stock 25mm that came with the scope

Celestron Omni Plossl 32mm (LOVE this eyepiece)

Celestron Omni Plossl 6mm

What do you think? I was thinking of a 3x barlow (4x would probably be too much, no?) or perhaps replacing some of the other stock lenses.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I would maybe look at up grading the standard x2 barlow to something a bit better but I can understand the want for another eyepiece.

I know you said you don't want to spend lots but have you considered a zoom eyepiece? The Hyperion zoom I have is great on that scope but you can find cheaper zooms around than that.

I didn't mean I don't want to spend a lot, I meant I didn't want to spend a lot on an eyepiece that would be "too good" for my scope, if you know what I mean? I've probably got a budget of a couple of hundred. Maybe more, if I can twist the wife's arm ;)

Well I don't have a huge range of eyepieces to compare as but the Hyperion makes a huge difference compared to those even with the standard barlow. You should be able to see the improvement easy enough.

But if your budget is that then you could probably get a nice fixed EP or two and a barlow.

The BSTs do seem to get a lot of positive remarks.

edit: That is the EP I have. I do like it.:)

Cool. I'm tempted. It looks like the eyepiece and barlow package is out of stock on FLO, though. Poo.

According to my local astronomy shop (http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/baader-hyperion-clickstop-zoom-8-24mm-mark-iii-ep_d2498.html) "features a screw off rubber eyecup for direct SLR connection". Have you tried this? At the minute I'm just using a standard t-ring and my DSLR in prime.

Yeah it's a neat add on, you still need the t-ring to connect it but that was one of the main reasons I chose it as it allows you to take dslr images using the PST solar scope. It works quite well but I haven't tried it using the 150PL, don't know why really I probably should.

God, the prices of some of the these eyepieces is mental. I've just been looking on FLO at the Pentax and Vixen lenses :Envy: Hundreds! Is the image quality produced by these lenses REALLY that good to warrant the price difference over the cheaper lenses?

God, the prices of some of the these eyepieces is mental. I've just been looking on FLO at the Pentax and Vixen lenses :Envy: Hundreds! Is the image quality produced by these lenses REALLY that good to warrant the price difference over the cheaper lenses?

Some obviously think so as there are plenty of premium eyepieces sold.

Archived