Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

webcam focusing

burger

Hi

Finally had an hours clear sky last night and tried(without success) to capture Jupiter on my webcam.

I have tried in the daytime no problem at all, on distant objects

I got Jupiter lined up in the various eyepieces no problem, removed and attached webcam (correct adapter fitted) but just could not seem to focus at all (tried with 2 webcams)

It was like I was too close and was almost in focus but just needed an extra turn of the focus wheel but none left to turn, all I seemed to get was an image of the cross piece on the from of the telescope

I even removed the eyepiece connector to get it a little closer and that seemed to work but impossible to hold steady.

Totally stumped, any ideas where I am going wrong.

Cheers

Mark

Skywatcher 130M

Creative Labs CCD webcam

Logitech CCD webcam

I had this problem also, very frustrating, remember your webcam is equivalent to something like a 5-6mm eyepiece so I always centre jupiter in a 6mm EP and change over to a webcam, but without any kind of tracking it can cross the field of view in a matter of seconds and chasing it using only the finder while your webcam is in tends to be virtually impossible. If you have tracking then like you say it would seem you are running out of focus, there are various extensions available that might work but have a read a round and maybe someone with a little more experience might leave a reply. Good luck and stick with it :)

You could also try pulling the web cam as far out of the mirror diagonal as you can to give yourself extra focal length. That extra 10 mm - 20 mm may just be enough to get focus. Even if it is a temporary 'fix' until you get a barlow lens or extension tube.

Archived