Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on camera

Lynxi

Hey,

After having a full year of cracking down on knowing the skies as much as possible and going through a lot of new equipment I'm looking at getting my first DSLR for astrophotography. I've been looking at the Nikon D3100 and was in Jessop's today but couldn't really get much information from them on how good it would be for what I want to use it for.

Does anyone have any recommendations for camera's so I can get my hands on one?

Thanks in advance!

I haven't looked much into CCD's at all and would hardly have a clue (well not that I have much clue with a camera on a scope right now), is the standards a lot better? I'd be using imaging primarily on my Dob hopefully if it's any help on what I should be investing into

Imaging on a dob is tricky / impossible.... what was it you wanted to take pics of?

However if you wanted to try your hand without breaking the bank a second hand Canon would perhaps be useful.

Oh look, I have one for sale........... :D

Ahh is it? That's a good thing to note, would the Skywatcher 200P be better with imaging?

I'm just looking for lunar and planet's right now whilst I'm starting out and probably wait for much stronger scopes until I went for any imaging further afield.

Good job this came up. Before spending a penny (on kit!!!) do lots of reading and asking. Solar system is best done using video cameras (webcam derivatives) and deep sky uses DSLRs or CCDs with long exposures.

These long exposures need accurate, driven, equatorial (not alt az) tracking mounts, ideally autoguided. The tracking accuracy and EQ mount is less of an issue with video imaging.

Olly

Some further information (if it helps) on what I'm using at the moment:

Skywatcher 200P Dob

Skywatcher Explorer 200P, EQ5 Mount

I did have a Skywatcher Evostar 90 as my first scope if that would be better for practice on but I handed that down to my cousin who began getting interested in the hobby, but not sure how the mount would stand up to a heavy camera with no counter weight.

I do have an okay budget to spend at the moment on new equipment if needed but only looking at camera's at the moment to get started so I can spend some time practicing whilst we have long nights before changing scopes/mounts.

I'd just like to point out that of you do decide to go for a dslr, then your better off getting the Nikon D3200 or better. Great camera for beginners. I was going to get a D3100 but looked into it and found out I was better getting the D3200. Not sure if its still on but currys had a great offer on which I got. Camera with kit lens, extra battery and a remote control, an essential in astrophotography. Sorry if it's not on though

To do long exposure imaging you need a very stable platform and a mechanism for ensure the mount exactly matches the rotation of the earth. Typically this means a much larger mount than would be used for observing as well as a guidescope and guide camera to ensure the mount keeps pointing in the right direction to a very high degree of accuracy. Without a reasonable mount and the guiding will work a lot harder and produce poorer images. The aim is to have the guiding to do as little work as possible. Why say all of this? Well the EQ5 mount would be too small for astro imaging for the 200p - fine for observing but not imaging. An HEQ5 would be better and an EQ6 would be ideal (they need to have the stepper motors so you'll need the right version).

Whatever Nikon you end up going for, make sure it is supported by the Nikon software for tethered shooting.

The Nikon D3100 is not supported by the Nikon PC control software. Thus, my Nikon D3100 has to be used with quasi-working, private developed, limited and buggy software.

If you are looking to buy a camera for deep sky imaging etc.; just go straight for a CCD. a Color CCD for simplicity...

If you are looking to buy an allround camera, for use as much if not more for OTHER purposes than deep sky imaging - go for a DSLR. ;)

Alveprinsen.

Archived