NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

looking to buy an EQ6 Pro SkyScan...

tuftyfella

as title basically says, im looking at the EQ6 with much passion and possibly as a lifetime mount...

i'de be using it in conjunction with my SN10" OTA, which it should support much more easily than the LXD75 mount if im correct?!

what i want to know is, would this be a good setup for astrophotography (AP)? i really want to get into AP and take some great pictures... (see sig' for cam)

so, will the mount be super stable for the OTA? is it a good idea to use this OTA, or would a skywatcher one be better?

oh, and how different is using an EQ6 to an LXD75? im guessing quite a bit?

thanks for any help / advice folks :D

I think you will find the Eq6 Pro have a very good reputation amongst the Imagers.I do not see your scope causing any problem.

I can help you with the comparison to the Meade mount as i have not used one im afraid.

You certainly won't be disappointed with the EQ6 as an imaging platform and the Meade 10" SN would be a good match for it - a MUCH better match than the LXD75 (ducks swiftly and grabs coat at the same time - T A X I !!).

In terms of operation of the two mounts, they are very different. The LXD75 firmware is richer in features and uses 'pulse guiding' via the serial port for autoguiding whereas the EQ6 uses an ST4 guider port - this is by no means a negative, just a difference in architecture. What you will notice is how quiet the EQ6 is in comparison with the LXD75, how much smoother in operation it is and how much more robust it is (do you get the feeling that I have some experience of both mounts?). The LXD75 is overloaded with the 10" SN mounted on it and you will still need to mount a second 'scope for guiding (an 80mm refractor would do just fine) which would take the LXD75 over the hill (I can hear the motors now.

Having now lost all my friends who have LXD75's I can only wish you luck with your forthcoming purchase. Even the taxi won't stop for me :D

The biggest worry you'll have with the EQ6 is wondering if its still going. Many of us remember sneaking into the nursery and listening by the cot late at night, its a bit like that until you get used to it. Imaging wise its very good, the next step up is huge financially (see Martin's new toy). They don't like running low on power though, it throws the goto off track.

Kaptain klevtsov

thanks folks, nice to hear the EQ6 more than capable of carrying the SN10. :D

will the EQ6 work with Autostar suite software?

also, with the DSI software, can u use that for tracking? that part where you put a box around a star so it tracks it..? (pardon me if im wrong, havent used it for some time, just been visual for the past few months)

oh and would that Celestron 17ah PowerTank be enough for the mount?

thanks again folks :lol:

1. will the EQ6 work with Autostar suite software?

2. also, with the DSI software, can u use that for tracking? that part where you put a box around a star so it tracks it..? (pardon me if im wrong, havent used it for some time, just been visual for the past few months)

3. oh and would that Celestron 17ah PowerTank be enough for the mount?

1. Sadly not

2. Sorry, don't know the answer but I suspect not although you could certainly use the DSI to guide with other software

3. Yes but it would need to be in good condition, not too cold and fully charged at the start of the session.

Archived