NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Compact System Camera or DSLR?

davo

I see many use DSLR cameras for both daily & astro shots but i was just wondering if anyone uses the Compact System Camera for both? As they are a new design, are they being used by Amateur Astro Photographers? I would like a DSLR but am just wondering before spending any £££ are CSCs any better? or will they be better? & eventually replace the DSLR?

Thanks

a perplexed Dave :icon_scratch:

There's two questions there...

On the bigger picture outside astro, the advantages remaining for DSLRs are diminishing but they're not obsolete yet. It is probably a matter of time, but don't expect it in the short term. DSLR's arguable primary remaining advantages include an optical through the lens viewfinder, better tracking AF of faster moving subjects, and availability of bigger sensors (full frame). If those aren't significant factors for you, a CSC may well be a good choice, although the various systems all have their own quirks so choose carefully.

I did dabble with a dual system: heavyweight DSLR for when the going gets tough, and a smaller CSC for less demanding tasks, but I ditched the CSC since the size advantage for me was not as significant as I hoped it would be. Thus I still use a DSLR for most tasks and a compact for undemanding tasks.

As for astro use, here control is a factor, and I'm not familiar enough with the options to discuss that.

In my eyes you can't beat an optical viewfinder. I used to own a Panasonic G1, the electronic viewfinder was great but I think it will be decades before it surpasses an optical viewfinder (if it ever does that is). Don't get me wrong, CSC's can and do produce images matching and bettering a DSLR, but for the focal lengths I generally use there is just no substitute for an optical viewfinder.

If you do choose a CSC, make sure you can control it remotely. The Panasonic G1 only allowed a remote shutter release, I couldn't control it from a PC which to me is a very nice to have feature for astro.

I have always been an SLR photographer but I recently bought my wife a Panasonic GF3 and am impressed with it's capabilities for general photography. The one thing I find is that the SLR is more logical to use both in the positioning of the contols and the menu layout. I also find the battery life better on my slr.

As GlassWalker says above it will be a while before compact system cameras can catch up with the control and flexibility a photographer has with an slr.

For astrphotography you might have to be wary of the effects the weight of an slr may have on the scope/mount being used.

Archived