NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon DSLR camera with Skymax 127 SynScan GoTo

geordieskiers

Hi from the geordie skiers! I have a Canon DSLR camera and would like to attach it to my telescope (SkyMax 127 synscan goto) so I can take pictures better than holding up my hanheld camera to the eye piece.

What is the best way to attach these style cameras to my telescope? Has anyone got any experience with trying this or any examples/pictures of this combo?

Thanks.

You'd need a t-ring made for your camera body and a t-adapter. Not sure what size focus tube is on that scope but I believe that's all you'd need to actually connect it to your OTA. The t-ring connects to your dSLR body like a lens would. The t-adapter screws into the t-ring and the other end goes into the focus tube where you can lock it down with the screws like you would an EP.

As I'm not familiar with your OTA, I don't know if your camera will be able to achieve focus or not. I'll leave that up to someone else on here who can best advise on that.

If you want to get really fancy you could get a remote trigger for your camera so as to reduce shake on your scope when you release the shutter. Or just set your camera on a timer to wait x number of seconds to give the scope time to quit shaking before it snaps the picture.

Certainly with my 127 Mak, all that's required is the EOS T ring. The visual back on the scope has a T-thread on it, so I usually unscrew the visual back, screw it into the T ring, fit that to the camera and then refit the entire lot to the back of the scope. In that position the camera sensor is just large enough to fit a full disc image of the Moon or Sun, but there's little margin for error.

If you move the camera away from the OTA by adding spacers between the T ring and the visual back then because you have to move the mirror to focus you actually increase the focal length of the telescope slightly and you get a larger image. Not helpful with the Sun or Moon because they won't fit on the sensor any more, but perhaps useful if you want to image something smaller.

James

Yes, do that but id also recommend getting 1 of those short length t adaptors too so you'll be able to slot it in a barlow. Not sure if you need a long adaptor if you want to use a focal reducer just yet though.

heres what i mean: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TS-Optics-photography-refractor-telescope-TSFA1/dp/B004OVWL08/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357339516&sr=8-2

think i managed to get mine cheaper though..... Oh, and remember to put the camera in a bag when you take it in too, im not your mum but last time for me i forgot & had dew everywhere.

Cheers

Oh, Just remembered. Do you have any tips on how to get great planetary images of Jupiter with a camera James? Think i get 3 frames/sec on my camera so do I just fire away on a low picture size & stack, or are longer than sub-second larger pictures better?

I have one of those, but I don't think I've ever used it :)

I can see that if you wanted to image smaller parts of the Moon for example, then it might come in useful in combination with a barlow. I might have to give that a whirl if I ever see the Moon again.

James

Oh, Just remembered. Do you have any tips on how to get great planetary images of Jupiter with a camera James? Think i get 3 frames/sec on my camera so do I just fire away on a low picture size & stack, or are longer than sub-second larger pictures better?

Other than removing the camera and replacing it with a webcam? :D

I've honestly never tried with a standard DSLR. By coincidence I actually had a couple of SPC880s kicking about before I even owned a telescope, so I used them from the start. My DSLR imaging thus far has been restricted to lunar and solar through the 127 Mak, and wide field using various standard camera lenses.

James

Hi, Thanks for all the helpful replies! Just a few quick questions...

What does OTA stand for? lol

I have an AZ GoTo mount stand but I have seen DSLR cameras attached diffectly to the telescope (like on James pics) but also another way with it attached to the 90 degree mirror. Attaching to the 90 degree mirror would be the best way for the AZ GoTo mount to avoid contact. What type of adaptors would I need for this?

Thanks!

OTA is Optical Tube Assembly -- the bit with the lenses/mirrors in, basically.

To put the camera into the diagonal you'd need the T thread to 1.25" adaptor as linked above by t1bbst3r. It's worth a try, but you may find the camera is too much weight to put on the diagonal and everything sags as a result.

I'm not sure how bad the problem can get because I've never had that style of mount, but perhaps it might be possible to avoid it just by pushing the OTA forward through the clamp a bit more? Depends how long the dovetail is, I guess, or even if you have one.

James

Archived