NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW Equinox Red Dot Finder Adapter?

I take it the foot of the finder won't fit into a standard Skywatcher finder shoe?

James

I don't know...the equinox doesn't have a finder shoe but it did fit in my old Orion ED80 finder shoe. Can you buy a finder shoe that will screw into the Equinox, assuming my RDF fits into it?

This may do, you could use either of the pre drilled holes or drill yourself a central one if you are up for it

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/finder/universal-finder-mounting-shoe/quickrelease.html

Check this out, yours looks like the Vixen RDF, if you can confirm the foot is the same as the one pictured then you should be ok

http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/9finders.pdf

Shame that the Astro Boot is not up and running yet, these used to be £3.50 each

This may do, you could use either of the pre drilled holes or drill yourself a central one if you are up for it

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/finder/universal-finder-mounting-shoe/quickrelease.html

Check this out, yours looks like the Vixen RDF, if you can confirm the foot is the same as the one pictured then you should be ok

http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/9finders.pdf

Shame that the Astro Boot is not up and running yet, these used to be £3.50 each

Yes it's the same RDF as that one. I ordered a similar mounting shoe today, cheap price so not much lost if it doesn't work...if not ill give the one you link to a go.

Many thanks pal

I have just received my quick release shoe and the screws are too small to fit to the scope. Where can I get some countersunk screws to fit....I have a hex screw that fits that say TUZ 12.9 on it but I need the countersunk type to get it flush in the adapter. I'm going to drill a central hole then finish with a countersunk drill bit.

Thanks

If you can work out what size the hex screw is then you can probably pick up a small pack of suitable screws from ebay if you can't find them locally. I used stainless screws to assemble my dob and because I only needed a few of each type I got them from ebay. The only the shops and DIY sheds I could find them in wanted to sell them by the hundred.

James

Sorted, just to bring this thread to a close here is a pic with my finder guider attached

post-4880-135739101549_thumb.jpg

Here is with the RDF attached

post-4880-135739104528_thumb.jpg

I had to drill a central hole in the shoe with a 5.5mm drill bit then finished off with a 10mm countersink bit to get the screw flush. These are the screws that I eventually found fit

post-4880-135739113594_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for your input.

All the best

• 3 years later...

Hello, 

I realize that this thread is more than 3 years old, but I have just read it and I am in the same position. I have a SW Equinox 80mm which doesn't include any finder shoe and the OTA has the same small threaded hole on the left side. I also have 90mm rings for the OTA.

I would really like to avoid having to drill holes or perform DIY adjustments(I am just too clumsy).

My question: do any of you konw of any finder base that would directly (and securely,without tilting/flexure) screw into the hole of the Equinox 80 OTA?

I have seen this item in the FLO website: 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/baader-universal-quick-release-finder-base.html 
which I found interesting as it has already a centered hole, and I have asked them about it. But while I await for their response and according to my investigations, unfortunately it seems it´s only going to be suitable only for OTAs with diameter>130mm.  I haven't found any other reference to a similar solution that would directly screw and get well fixed to an equinox 80's hole. 

After much investigation on the internet I have just also found this other type of possible solution. 

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_rdpq.htm  

It seems like this base should directly screw without issues into the flat (non curve) female thread hole of my 90mm rings. Has any of you used this solution with success? Do you think it could impose worrying flexure issues if I attach my 9x50mm standard synta (Skywarcher) finderscope with its bracket onto it, then thread a qhy5 camera in the back of the finder and perform guiding with it (500mm F.L.,PHD Guide)?

I am attaching pictures of my OTA, 9x50mm finderscope and bracket and OTA rings.

If I have news or progress I will also let you know, just in case any other mate might find this information helpful in the future.

Thanks in any case for your help and time, and best regards from Canary Islands! :-)

Javier

IMG_20160708_113825.jpg

IMG_20160708_114053.jpg

IMG_20160708_114225.jpg

Hello,

Just to give you feedback that i was confirmed by the involved dealer that the solution based on finder base with center hole directly screwed on top of a ring (#RDPQ) works well and should not impose great flexure issues provided it is firmly screwed. At the same time I was also informed that they sell also another pretty similar finder base model which is already prepared to be directly screwed into the Equinox OTA threaded hole. Although I finally decided to opt for the first mentioned solution(finder bracket on top of a single 90mm ring).

Clear skies!

Javier

Archived