Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 12-31-12

Josh Wilson

This was my best Jupiter from last night. Seeing was meh, and I was tired. I wish the GRS was out to wish us a happy new year, but instead didn't. I still have a few kinks to work out with my camera. Like the color space, RGB24 or I420? And the exposure is still a little high, and AS!2 tries to fix them and the images come out partly gray.

Pre-Processed in PIPP, stacked in AS!2, and wavelets done in Registax 6.

post-25144-0-32893500-1357060165_thumb.p

Thanks for looking,

Josh

Forgive me if I am wrong but it seems you have captured the GRS , very faint but its there

I think it's right on the limb, but it's possible to make out the turbulence that follows it.

James

The GRS crossed the face of Jupiter at 5:32 PM for my local time. (00:32 UT). This was taken at about 8:10 PM. The total rotation time of Jupiter is about 10 hours. This calculates to 2.5 hours to rotate 1/4 of a turn. Given that we are looking at Jupiter at an angle right now because it is passed opposition, the GRS is behind the face of Jupiter at the time.

It probably was turbulence though...

And it'd be reddish too...

The GRS crossed the face of Jupiter at 5:32 PM for my local time. (00:32 UT). This was taken at about 8:10 PM. The total rotation time of Jupiter is about 10 hours. This calculates to 2.5 hours to rotate 1/4 of a turn. Given that we are looking at Jupiter at an angle right now because it is passed opposition, the GRS is behind the face of Jupiter at the time.

It probably was turbulence though...

And it'd be reddish too...

I'm fairly convinced the GRS really is right on the limb, to be honest. There's a pale wedge of cloud across the SEB from the west limb almost to the meridian that is as distinctive as the spot itself. If it was on the meridian at 00:32 then two and a half hours later you would expect it to be hard to make out. However, if the transit of the meridian actually occurs at 00:32 then it will be at least 01:00 before we see it in that position because of the time it takes light to reach us from Jupiter. Thus at 03:00 we'll still be seeing it before it moves around the limb. My source for the timing agrees with yours, but doesn't say whether the data is the time it occurs or the time we see it occur. I also don't know quite how old that data is. The GRS doesn't obey a fixed timetable.

James

Can someone remind me how to find the magnification of the images? I used an 8" f/5.9 (1200mm focal length) telescope with a 2x barlow, and a 1.3x1.3 micrometer camera.

Magnification doesn't really have a meaning for images like this. However, if you divide 206265 by the focal length (2 x 1200 in this case) you'll get the image scale in arcseconds per mm (about 86 in this case) and then multiplying by the pixel size gets you arcseconds per pixel. Was there some particular reason you wanted to know magnification?

James

I think they'd compensate for that, don't you think?

I'm really not sure. I guess it depends on who originated the data and how they expected it to be used. I certainly wouldn't rely on it unless the data specifically said it was corrected for the speed of light.

And the sensor size is 3.6x3.6 micrometers, not 1.3x1.3.

I did think that seemed a bit small :)

James

I'm really not sure. I guess it depends on who originated the data and how they expected it to be used. I certainly wouldn't rely on it unless the data specifically said it was corrected for the speed of light.I did think that seemed a bit small James

I could test that tonight if it's out. And the sensor is still pretty small, which is why I love drizzling. :)

There are a number of different UT standards, but in the way people generally understand it, the UK is UT in the winter and UT+1 in the summer.

That is, wall-clock time is UT in the winter and UT+1 in the summer.

James

I spend alot of time looking at Jupiter and GRS hunting and from my experience I can clearly see the edge of the GRS on the right hand side of the planet while not strictly visable its there. The turbulent storms rolling of the GRS can also clearly be seen as can the dark trail below generated by the GRS minor. I have found that timings for GRS transit while on the whole are correct you should always allow a little margin of error.

Really nice picture anyway and very well focused :-)

Archived