Using Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

Hi, Got one at Christmas and been dodging cloud cover to get a view of the moon and Jupiter over the past few nights.

Got a good view of Jupiter tonight using the 10mm and 25mm eyepieces.

The question I have is that I have used the smaller adapter that the eyepiece fits in and have used the telescope to good effect.

Can someone explain what the additional one that attaches to the smaller adapter works.

I have tried using it with both the 10mm and the 25mm but can't seem to focus on anything.

Hope I have explained myself correctly.

Thanks Terry

In the longer term I am planning to expand my eyepieces and will consider replacing the 10mm and 25mm with higher quality ones, however I was thinking that until I make that decision would it be worth getting a barlow to use with the 10mm and the 25mm If so what would recommend?

Lenny147 - I replaced the 25mm to start with, made one hell of a difference to the views. Vixen NPL 25mm from FLO, but firstly get used to the scope then decide

A nice looking eyepiece.

Oily - I use a GSO x2 and it's also a x1.5 so in effect your tripling your EP's.

Are you using this barlow with the original eyepieces for the 200p?

Oily - I use a GSO x2 and it's also a x1.5 so in effect your tripling your EP's.

Are you using this barlow with the original eyepieces for the 200p?

For the present time,yes

Hi Foghorn, I find I do not use a Barlow very much, especially with the 10mm that came with the telescope, the quality is not really up to being barlowed, a better individual ep would be better than barlowing the 10mm, I would recommend the 8mm BST/StarGuider from Sky's the Limit as a great choice, and note that the 200P supports focal lengths 8mm to 32mm best, or 125x to 31x. Anything outside of this is 'pushing it'.

Hi Oliy,

Giving some thought to a barlow or perhaps buying another eyepiece. Where did you get your GSO X2 and are you happy with your purchase?

foghorn

I bought it from agenaastro in the states and i'm very happy with it :)

Hi Foghorn, I find I do not use a Barlow very much, especially with the 10mm that came with the telescope, the quality is not really up to being barlowed, a better individual ep would be better than barlowing the 10mm, I would recommend the 8mm BST/StarGuider from Sky's the Limit as a great choice, and note that the 200P supports focal lengths 8mm to 32mm best, or 125x to 31x. Anything outside of this is 'pushing it'.

Hi Robin,

I have been looking at Jupiter over the last few days what improvement in size of the planet could I realistically expect using the 8mm compared to the 10mm. Would i for example be able to pick out the spot on Jupiter?

foghorn

Check out the Central Scotland Observers Group - there might be a local get together or you could post on their forum for someone local to help you out or let you try looking through different eyepieces, etc. I'm pretty new to this, myself.

Hi Robin,

I have been looking at Jupiter over the last few days what improvement in size of the planet could I realistically expect using the 8mm compared to the 10mm. Would i for example be able to pick out the spot on Jupiter?

foghorn

I was able to see the GRS with my Tal-barlowed Excel LX 9mm a couple of nights ago. I thought the stock 25mm EP was ok so I'm still using it but the10mm was binned because I didn't think it was very good at all. I had tried it a few times before upgrading it.

Archived