NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First accessory purchase

Hello,

After getting my Skywatcher Mak 127 for Xmas, i'm ready to purchase my first set of accessories for it.

The scope came with a couple of eye pieces as well as a x2 barlow lens but I really need a case to carry all this in (I'm currently using a old cardboard box which isn't ideal!)

I was thinking of this set http://www.firstlightoptics.com/eyepiece-sets/celestron-eyeopener-eyepiece-and-filter-kit.html.

I was also going to pick up a dew shield as after taking it out for a brief glimpse of Jupiter the other night. The dew soon built up on top of the scope. I'm not sure of what size to get though. I believe it is 5 inches (127mm).

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/astrozap-flexible-dew-shield.html

The other things i'm picking up from having a quick read of the forum are a Planisphere and a Skywatcher PowerTank Battery for powering my mount.

Is there anything else that I might need for now? The PowerTank has a red light on it but is a handheld torch advisable?

Thanks

http://www.maplin.co.uk/flight-case-with-foam-36796

This for your EPs, be quick they are about to raise the price!

I'd buy the dew shield before I buy any more EPs

A planisphere isn't essential, you can use stellarium to see what's up and plan your observing sessions.

I would recommend a handheld torch as I'm guessing that power tank is pretty darn heavy...

Good luck!

Hi, I wouldn't go for the kit, best to use the eyepieces that came with the scope first and see what your viewing preferences are, if you buy the kit you will find you will not necessarily use all the eyepieces, and certainly the colour filters are a waste of time. Once you have found out what your viewing prefernces are, consider buying individual eyepieces that meet your viewing preferences. There is no rush, the sky is not going anywhere (hopefully!).

Hi, I wouldn't go for the kit, best to use the eyepieces that came with the scope first and see what your viewing preferences are, if you buy the kit you will find you will not necessarily use all the eyepieces, and certainly the colour filters are a waste of time. Once you have found out what your viewing prefernces are, consider buying individual eyepieces that meet your viewing preferences. There is no rush, the sky is not going anywhere (hopefully!).

I have to agree. EP kits while giving you a good range of magnifications (as a starter) soon become a case of "OK i only use one or two of the EP's included and the colour filters never get used".

Just use the EP's that came with the scope until you fully understand the scope and use it well.

A dew shield is always a good idea. This can be made at home using a camping mat. Very low cost involved but works great.

The powertank is essential. You can buy really good ones from Maplins and they dont cost too much. A hand held torch isnt ideal as you really need both hands free. Check your local DIY store for a red/white LED head torch..............less then a fiver.

Planisphere's are great. Dont bother with a glow in the dark one.................they dont work well.

http://www.maplin.co...with-foam-36796

This for your EPs, be quick they are about to raise the price!

I'd buy the dew shield before I buy any more EPs

A planisphere isn't essential, you can use stellarium to see what's up and plan your observing sessions.

I would recommend a handheld torch as I'm guessing that power tank is pretty darn heavy...

Good luck!

Thanks for the post being looking for a cheap case,thanks

Archived