Hello people of earth and beyond.....

I would like some advice as there is so much out there I do not know where to start!!!

I have had a cheap telescope for a while now but would really like something good but not to expensive. I would be happy to buy a better second hand than a inferior new telescope. I would like something that gives excellent views with gps, go to and all mod cons. I live in Jersey channel Islands UK and have a excellent place to view from without having to move a scope outside most of the time. I have conservatory off my bedroom which is on the second story of my house (also doubles as a gym) two large french windows i can open so a scope can access the night sky easily. There is no light pollution as I live in St Brelade and face of the sand dunes to the sea with no houses behind me. All I need is some good equipment now as I enjoy using my cheap scope so much. I also enjoy photography so am sure this will be something I will want to do also. Where does one begin! Live long and prosper. All advice gratefully accepted. Lists of things to get would also be useful haha..... Sounds like I'm baking a cake. I really need all the help and knowledge of the the people on this sight.

Hi and welcome to SGL.

A lot of information to start with there! If your interested in doing photography, you will need an EQ mount, which is capable of following the stars with appropriate motors etc. You haven't really said how much you want to spend, my first though was something like a skywatcher 150 on a goto mount, something like this,

http://www.firstligh...150p-eq3-2.html

But as you can see, even that is not cheap with a goto. Otherwise, if your just going to be doing visual, you could look at a dob telescope, which offer the most apparture for your money, something like this,

http://www.firstligh...-dobsonian.html

Which as you can see is alot cheaper than the former option, alot easier to set up, but doesnt really allow for photography. So really need to know what your budget kinda is, and im sure people will follow me with suggestions :)

On another note, viewing from inside even with open doors isn't really a good idea, as warmth from the house will interfere with views you will get through the scope.

Like Matt I'd be inclined to suggest a Skywatcher Skyliner Dobsonian 200p solid tube.

Before everyone jumps on me hear me out.

You get a very decent instrument for not a blisteringly painful amount of money and you can enjoy it. A while down the line you may or may not want to buy more into it so if you still want to give Astrophotography a go then get a pair of tube rings and a HEQ5 or better yet a NEQ6 and you've got the perfect telescope for it.

If you want to get in another way then try for a 200p Explorer and one of the above mounts second hand but mind you'll be paying through the nose for shipping to where you are to the point it might not be worth it.

Anyway, get as much advice as you can, take your time and think about it.

Going on from James, The dob allows for perfect visual (in a way i wish id got one rather than a 200p on EQ5), and like said above, you may not want to put more cash into astronomy.

Another option again, is to get the terms with visual for a while, then buy a refractor sometime down the line as they can be more suited to astrophotography.

I definitely double what James has said in take your time and definitely shop around, don't just jump in with the first scope you see (like i did :D)

+ 1 for a good Dob mounted scope. The Skywatcher 200p (Skyliner) is a great scope especially considering the price £300 ish. The Dob will not be much use for Astro Photography but for visual it is amazing. Even in my light polluted skies it performs or should say out-performs its modest price tag. With your sky conditions I am sure you would be amazed at the light gathering power of an 8 inch Dob.

Good luck with your search and hope you find the right scope.

Start chatting up your bank manager if you want to get into the Astro-photography side of things.

Paul.

Like Matt I'd be inclined to suggest a Skywatcher Skyliner Dobsonian 200p solid tube.

Before everyone jumps on me hear me out.

You get a very decent instrument for not a blisteringly painful amount of money and you can enjoy it. A while down the line you may or may not want to buy more into it so if you still want to give Astrophotography a go then get a pair of tube rings and a HEQ5 or better yet a NEQ6 and you've got the perfect telescope for it.

If you want to get in another way then try for a 200p Explorer and one of the above mounts second hand but mind you'll be paying through the nose for shipping to where you are to the point it might not be worth it.

Anyway, get as much advice as you can, take your time and think about it.

that seems very sound advice,thats how id go about it too. you have a great place to observe the skies,im not jelous at all ..... :embarrassed: .

welcome to the forums by the way.

Hi Maleka and welcome to SGL, It is going to take time for you to come to a decision on what type of scope you want, you have not said what your present scope is or what your preferences are with regard to observing the night sky, from such as the the Moon, Planets, stars or Deep space, as there is no scope which will cover all aspects. Before dipping your hand in your pocket, I should ask as many questions as you can, research the various types of scope which are available and what they are capable of. If you also want to consider the use of a camera this too could have a bearing on what you eventually end up with especially with regard to the type of mount. As has been mentioned, observing from indoors is not really recommended, so the transportation of any equipment outside will also become part of the equation. Sounds very nice where you live in Jersey, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Welcome to SGL Maleka

The 200P dob is a great piece of kit,I've had mine a while and the views you get are great.I'm also looking into AP at the moment and considering buying either a EQ5 or a HEQ5 mount but I'd just start out with the 200P dob at the moment like others have said

Thank you all so much for your advice. I will take my time and keep my eyes on this sight for any posts, information, pictures etc. I would rather take my time and get something that I am really going to enjoy . Mind boggling. Will just enjoy the fabulous pics and posts until I have decided. Wishing you all a very happy new year and clearer skies . :Envy:

See, when I was choosing my first telescope I was on the fence between a 200p Dob and the Explorer 150PL and EQ3-2 mount combo. They were the same price and I went for the 150PL not realising the limitations of the mount but now looking back I see the 200p dob would have been the better choice.

The thing about taking the leap into a new hobby is whether you think you'll stick with it, getting a 200p dob means you get the maximum bang for your buck now and it's pretty much the best choice for upgrades. It's a telescope you can get as a beginner that you will still be using if you decide to have a crack at imaging in a big way.

Archived