Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting started in Astrophotography with 150P DS and EQ5

Hi All,

I have an EQ5 and a Skywatcher 150P DS. I don't yet have a camera, but once I have an idea how to progress I will pick one up.

I am really interested in DSOs. My primary interest is visual observing, but I would love to have a go at photographing some prominent messier objects like the Pleiades, Andromeda Galaxy and Orion Nebula.

I have a few questions though about the mount / tracking options. Right now my thinking is that I could buy tracking motors to give me reasonable exposure times, and then if I get more serious, buy a mount which can be auto guided. The other option is to buy a synscan upgrade for 300GBP.

1) What sort of results would I get with just the basic mount, with no tracking at all or 'human' tracking via manual adjustments to the RA axis (if such a thing can be done)?

2) How much of an improvement will adding tracking motors be? Is it an essential starting point, or are the stars still going to blur anyway?

3) How about auto-guiding, obviously this is what the pros are using but is it going to be particularly useful with budget equipment? Could I get decent results without it, because to me it looks like a big step up in terms of required budget.

And of course any other tips about how I can get started in taking astrophotos with my gear would be great!

Cheers!

Hi and welcome to SGL.

With no tracking you're limited to basicly the moon and maybe jupiter (no DSO). DSO's are so faint you will need sturdy and solid tracking.

Adding tracking motors will give you a somewhat decent chance for a result, but in the end you will probably end up wanting to invest in a more capable mount (HEQ-5, NEQ-6).

Autoguiding is a vital step for every serious AP enthusiast, but if you have a sturdy mount and a scope with a resonably wide field you wont have to worry about it yet, you can get alteast 1 minute of unguided exposures, and maybe up to 3 minutes if youre good at polar alignment.

My most vital tip would be to read steve's book: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

That book will save you time, money and confusion.

What I am doing is experimenting, although I have a fairly decent mount, I have started with Prime focus web cam , also piggy backed a DSLR taking wide field shots using different setting ie: , time , ISO this I believe will give me a better understanding of how setting will effect a shot. This particular type of photography as a very steep learning curve , one you can't sprint up. not to mention the spiraling cost on progression,

The best piece of advice I got when I asked the very same questions was to purchase the excellent book " Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards.

Thanks for your feedback guys, I've put in an order for "Making Every Photon Count" and I'll give it a read before splashing out on any photography gear.

Cheers!

The book will see you right, trust me if it cleared things up for me then it can for anyone?! :grin:

Archived