Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any opinions on Jessop's 800-80 telescope?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What sort of detail do you recon you could see with jupiter for example? Just about make out the bands?

Assuming half decent optics, I reckon these 80mm newtonians would have similar performance to a 60mm refractor with regards to the planets. Through my old Tasco 60mm (decent optics) I can see Jupiters most contrasty cloud belts. This varies year to year, sometimes it's just 2, sometimes 4 / 5 are visible. I've not been able to resolve the great red sopt with a 60mm scope despite much trying although on the best nights with good quality eyepieces (not those you get as standard !) I've seen hints of the are where the spot resides. The 4 brightest moons of Jupiter are seen clearly with this aperture and you may glimpses a shadow of a moon in transit occasionally, again with good seeing conditions and good eyepieces. The supplied eyepieces and mount are usually the things that let these low cost scopes down. Change those and the performance improves noticeably but a couple decent eyepieces cost more than the scope did and a sturdier mount will put the investment made into the range where a more capable scope could have been bought in the 1st place so perhaps it's best to accept their limitations and use them as a "primer" for the hobby.

i think i would also have go e for the jessops over the mini dob - f10 will be much more forgiving on the plastic ep's than the dob! plus not everyone has a table to put the dob on, and kids will invariably lean on the table, making it wobble like mad.

That Aldi telescope looks horrible! 'Comes with two barlow lenses' ahaha! Much love for skywatcher! I bought a pair of 10x50s from Argos for about 20 quid and they are brilliant! get a tripod (again for about 20 quid) and you are good to go :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived