NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Motorised focuser for Celestron SCT.

Hi,

I am trying to find some appropriate motor focuser for my C8 SCT but I am not very successful. All I was able to find was Rigel nFocus but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK:

78-CPC-DC.jpg

Some information can be found here:

http://rigel.datacorner.com/rigelsys/crayford+motor+nfocus.html

Does anybody have any experience or advice regarding motorised focusers for SCTs and where in the UK I could get them from? Also, can anybody who previously ordered from US tell me how much is it roughly to pay for postage and customs duty?

Thank you.

With regards,

Rob.

Hi,

I have a JMI motor focus for a C11, which works well, but is now redundant as I bought a Crayford focuser which I fitted with a stepper motor and USB driver. It is much better than focussing the main mirror as you don't get any image shift. I can recommend the JMI, but the Crayford is a better if you can run to the expense.

Unfortunately my JMI won't fit your C8, so I understand otherwise I would put it up for sale in the classifieds.

I haven't used the focuser on my 8SE for a long time, I use a Baader SteelTrack SCT Crayford, it fits directly onto the back of the OTA where the star diagonal would usually go.

I assume that the Baader SteelDrive will fit the Baader SteelTrack SCT Crayford focuser mentioned above, you'd have to ask someone who knows.

A good dual-speed Crayford focuser will reduce the need for a motorised focuser anyway, so you may not need both. The focuser does add quite a bit of weight though, balance is on the edge if you use heavy eyepieces.

Considering that the cost for both would be over £500, I'd probably start with the Baader SteelTrack (not motorised) and see how I get on with that first.

A cheaper option which a few people have used is a Skywatcher autofocuser, with a band of some sorts.

£45 from FLO

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/skywatcher-auto-focuser.html

Here's how it fits onto my 8SE. For the pulley and crank I used some of my old bits from a radio controlled car.

8297264900_1952d5308c_b.jpg

I managed o get mine from he sale section here on SGL for £35 inc P+P.

Hi,

thank you all for your replies, I am currently considering either JMI motofocus or DIY option with Skywatcher autofocuser as springbok pictured above. I already own that Skywatcher one to use with my C102, so will give it a try before deciding which one to get. Also, I forgot to mention that I need motorised focusing because I want to use a telescope remotely with my NexImage camera (scope outside in the cold and me inside in the warmth :-)). Thanks again for your posts and if you have any more ideas please post them.

Regards,

Rob.

Archived