NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Thanks to all I have my elecreic focuser installed

Hi all that helped on my electrical focus problem i followed your advice and got it. arrived today and now all installed and up and running thank you. all i have to do now is purchase the control unit so i can run it off my computer.

post-27022-0-22571900-1356115283_thumb.j

post-27022-0-58981900-1356115301_thumb.j

post-27022-0-92250500-1356115322_thumb.j

post-27022-0-03541600-1356115344_thumb.j

Very nice. Getting a motorised focuser was probably one of the biggest contributors to the improvement in my imaging. The only thing I'd really change with mine would be to add some sort of clutch to allow it to be used easily manually as well.

Not sure how much you'll see with all that light pollution in the background, though...

James

Nice one if i lived there don't think i would be able to do any astronomy!!!

I am thinking of putting a finger screw on the connecting joint in stead of the alen screws so if i want to turn it manually i can. but at the moment just so glad to have this now fitted.

The night sky out here in crewkerne is great and where i work on a large estate grounds is a perfect dark sky no lights for miles. the nearest town is about seven miles away but it's also the highest grounds in somerset so it's great there.

Just need the weather now

cheers stu

:grin:

Indeed a cheap solution is welcome once in a while :grin:

I got the focuser for £30 inc P+P from a chap here on SGL.

It was in great condition with all the original brackets, nuts etc. He even threw in a bracket he had made himself.

Grahame.

Hi Stu,

I have changed things around a bit recently, so new new pics if the setup.

For Visual I have a standard Celestron 8SE as a family visual "grab and go". Quick to setup and have a scout around with the family.

For AP a new NEQ6Pro, and on a dual mount bar, a Williams Opics ZS70 / QHY5 and Canon 1100D with a 70-200 f2.8 IS L. Options for other L glass lenses as well.

I'll try and take a few updated pics and post,

Cheers,

Grahame.

Hi again that would be cool, sounds like you have a super set up, I am on my third scope now i started out with a Konusmoter 130 eq which got me started but it was bit of an old dog to be honest, so after about 18 months I sold it to get my first goto which ended up being a Meade etx80 at-tc after reading some reviews on it but wish i had kept the konus I just could not get on with it. And as my interests changed to astrophotography the clutch system on the meade could not take any weight for cameras or anything. So thats when i decided to put all my penny's together and get the setup i know have and love it so far. just wish i could get out under the stars now, live in hope that the weather changes for the better.

cheers stu

Hi Stu,

Here are a couple of my AP setup. I've not had a chance to try the NEQ6 yet. I did have a CG5-GT before but didn't get on with it.

I have been into motorsport for some time, so have built up a collection of Canon's professional series L glass. The one in the pic is a 70-200 f2.8 IS L, I also have a 24-70 L and 100-400 L, with a 1.6 extender if needed.

With all the lenses it seemed a good idea to try and use them on AP. Only managed Andromeda so far, which camne out fairly well for a non modded Canon 1100D, see below.

Hopefully when I've reached the limit of the DLSR I'll go down the dedicated CCD route. I've a lot to learn first though.

It sounds as if you have a nice seup too, hope you get some clear skies soon to try them out. I am desperate to give the NEQ6 a go.

Cheers,

Grahame.

8299240181_86df12eb9a_b.jpg

8299238723_3b773356bc_b.jpg

8209886175_be6d455266_b.jpg

M31_1100D_resize by grahame.wright, on Flickr

Wow that is a fantastic setup makes mine look a bit out of date. what's the box of tricks mounted onto the tripod legs? I guess the decking is so you can role it around a little easier.

I will be so happy the day i can image M31 to a standard anywhere near that smashing image.

I am trying to get to grips with my Starlight Xpress MX7C single shot color ccd camera. if we get some clear skies then hopefully I can start mastering it on the new scope.

Then get the hang of the editing side of things, it's all a great learning curve should of taut this at school all those years ago. would of been more interested in learning then.

cheers stu

I got the electric focuser and is one of the best things i have purchased just on testing the setup it is the fact that there is no movement of the scope when focusing, it used to be so anoying but no longer. no horrid vibrations. and it will do such fine adjustments its brilliant to fine tune the focus.

I got the electric focuser and is one of the best things i have purchased just on testing the setup it is the fact that there is no movement of the scope when focusing, it used to be so anoying but no longer. no horrid vibrations. and it will do such fine adjustments its brilliant to fine tune the focus.

I could not agree with this more. The only negative of having a motorised focuser is that you waste huge amounts of imaging time waggling the focus back and forth trying to see if you can get it any better than it already is :)

James

I see the decking is arranged differently under the scope. Is that where it descends into the batcave below when it isn't in use?

James

:grin: Batcave, I like that idea.

The bit of decking the scope sits on is completely idependant of the main decking to avoid any vibrations whilst walking about.

The top part of the decking is sitting "through" the main part and then sits on solid ground.

Wow that is a fantastic setup makes mine look a bit out of date. what's the box of tricks mounted onto the tripod legs? I guess the decking is so you can role it around a little easier.

I will be so happy the day i can image M31 to a standard anywhere near that smashing image.

I am trying to get to grips with my Starlight Xpress MX7C single shot color ccd camera. if we get some clear skies then hopefully I can start mastering it on the new scope.

Then get the hang of the editing side of things, it's all a great learning curve should of taut this at school all those years ago. would of been more interested in learning then.

cheers stu

Thanks Stu,

The box is the, 12V main PSU for mount, dew heater, DLSR camera. It also houses the dew controller and 12V to 5V converter for the powered USB hub.

The cables were getting out of hand, so this is my attempt to tidy them up and create a "power loom". Not tested in anger yet.

I am pleased wih the M31, just need some clear skies now to find some other targets.

Good luck with the Starlight OSC, looking forward to seeing some images.

Cheers,

Grahame.

The focuser is for my 8SE setup. The SE mount is a great and easy mount to get running, but focusing manually is a pain, adjust focus / wait for vibration to stop etc etc.

The focuser should solve that problem.

This was a bit of solar imaging in the summer.

8300815785_d39cfe80f0_b.jpg

Archived