NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

OTA Carrying bag/case

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody has a carrying bag for their OTA for when they take it out to sites? I'm in a heavily LP area, so need to transport the scope a lot. Currently I just put it on a duvet in the car boot, but would prefer to have some sort of carrying bag/case. Perhaps something like a canvas bag or the like?

It's a 200P Skyliner dob OTA (f/6), with the dob bearings removed and rings and dovetail attached.

Any suggestions?

If you still have it, then keep the original foam package moldings, as these can be customised into fitting inside a hard or soft case or simply used by themselves. For my 8" SCT it fits into the supplied foam box molding, which fits neatly into a 120L cargo bag (Vango), My 300p flextube rests across the backseat of my car secured into the supplied foam moldings, for better support and absorbs vibration more effectively. For storage at home I use a large clear polythene bag over the flextube to keep off any dust (aquired some years ago at an airport to serve as a ski bag holder).

TS sell bags and cases, most applicable look like the Geoptik and Orion ones, need to look on both pages.

Cost appears to be around the £100-120 mark however.

Alternative would be to buy a trolly carry bag from somewhere like Wilkinsons and line it yourself with foam.

With one of them you have the wheels to move it round or the handles to carry it.

I use the duvet / sleeping bag method when transporting my scopes.

My Son's Skymax 127 fits in a little hold-all padded out with a blanket though. EP's, diagonal, torch etc go in the end pockets in padded pencil cases.

Archived