Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

amp glow with dslr cause unknown

andyo

Hi here is the problem.I use backyard EOS as my capture software(a great bit of software).Last night I noticed horrendous amp glow when I took a snap image (in frame and focus).ISO was 800 and exp was 200secs.I have never noticed this before on 800 ISO however I have noticed some amp glow at 1600ISO when taking a snap image.So after spending the working day worrying that my camera a modded(filter removed) canon 450 dslr had developed a serious fault I ran some further checks.Firstly I checked darks I had in a darks library at the same exposure,temp and ISO setting for any sign of amp glow non found.Then in frame and focus I took a snap image with the same settings putting the lens cap on the scope and the amp glow was there again.Next I went to Imaging in backyard eos and took an exposure however there was no sign of amp glow this time,so I took another and again no amp glow.I even opened it in photoshop and had a really close look but no amp glow.So I went back to backyard eos and went to frame and focus took a snap image and the amp glow was there.So it appears when using frame and focus,snap image there is amp glow but go to imaging, preview or start capture there is no amp glow.The virtual mirror lock is disabled as It says this may cause amp glow.Firstly maybe this lengthy post might help if someone experiances the same sort of problem and is thinking of sending their camera for repair(as I was considering).Secondly maybe someone can explain why this might be happening.

You don't have the laptop near that back of the scope do you(if you're using the 200p) You can get alot of light leaking in around the mirror. Also having some black tape or a cover over the camera viewfinder is a good idea too.

Hi thanks for the replies.I am using the ed80 and the camera has the rubber bung over the eyepiece I am sure this is not being caused by light leakage.

Here are some images I did this evening through the ED 80 with no lens cap on all are 200 secs ISO 800

This shows amp glow and was taken in backyard eos,frame and focus snap image

SNAP_20121218-18h16m11s262ms.jpg

The next image I took in backyard eos under imaging,start capture here you can see no sign of amp glow

imagingstartcapture.jpg

Finally I took this one with the same settings of 200secs exposure 800ISO in nebulosity and there is no sign of amp glow

nebulosity.jpg

'Amp glow' is caused by using ' Live View' during long exposures. It always shows in the same area of the image in EOS cameras.

Turn off the live view after you have framed and focused your target and you won't get 'amp glow'.

Hope this helps,

Colin

No the lcd is off whilst exposing.If it was the lcd or other external factor amp glow would show on all three exposures the point being amp glow only shows when taking a snap image in frame and focus settings of backyard eos.I dont know but what I am thinking is this is connected somehow to live view as frame and focus uses this.

shouldn't you do it with the lens cap on?

No it doesnt matter they are not darks, it is just to show the amp glow that is happening when I take a snap image under frame and focus in backyard eos.I thought maybe someone else had experienced this and knew new why it did it.When I do a capture it will be under the setting" imaging,start capture" and under this setting there is no sign of amp glow so the actual subs should be fine (fingers crossed).

Thanks for taking the time to reply and putting ideas forward it is appreciated.

'Amp glow' is caused by using ' Live View' during long exposures. It always shows in the same area of the image in EOS cameras.

Turn off the live view after you have framed and focused your target and you won't get 'amp glow'.

Hope this helps,

Colin

Thanks Colin You must have posted this at the same time I was posting the above reply.Yes this definately helps but do you know how I turn live view off after

framing and focusing.Can I do this via the backyard eos settings or do I have to do it on the camera itself

Hi Andy,

I'm not familiar with Backyard EOS, but you might find this helpful:

http://astrocasto.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/review-of-backyard-eos-for-framing-and.html#!/2012/03/review-of-backyard-eos-for-framing-and.html

This link was endorsed by the author of Backyard EOS, and the program is used for framing and focusing, after which a remote timer was

used for the exposures.

An alternative to a remote timer is DSLR Shutter, from the excellent Craig Stark:

http://www.stark-labs.com/page26/DSLR_Shutter.html

The program is free, and very easy to use, but you'll need a Canon serial shutter cable:

http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/300d.htm#serial

Andy Ellis makes very good quality accessories, and he's a nice bloke as well.

Hope this all helps,

Colin

Thanks a lot again Colin. however I have full control over the canon 450 with a usb cable. I believe Craig stark wrote Nebulosity and PHD,I use both of these and Craig does a great job of explaining all sorts especially callibration frames in his instructions of Nebulosity, I would recommend both of these programs.Andy ellis modded my camera for me I have also bought a few accessories from him and as you said they are good quality.As for backyard EOS I think its a superb capture software with a good histogram stretch for viewing your fainter targets and is straight forward to use I would certainly recommend this.

I think that when taking a snap image in backyard eos the amp glow is somehow connected to live view although this is pure speculation, however this doesnt actually affect the capture frames and I can use preview to see the target before starting the capture so I will not bother pursuing this any further.Thanks for the help and comments from everyone much appreciated.

Archived