NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flaming Star and other small nebulae

scarp15

Next opportunity I receive to observe at a dark location I aim to locate some of the smaller planetary and emission nebulae that are prominent at the moment. One of these on my list will be the Flaming Star nebula, which I have only brushed past whilst panning through Auriga.

I have only really spent time observing the Eskimo nebula, so it would be good to learn as to what other smaller nebulae you might currently recommend, advice upon and any comments concerning observing the Flaming Star.

Thanks

I've observed the Flaming Star with an 8" at a dark site but it's a very difficult object and my view of it was marginal. Part of the problem is that you have a relatively bright star in the field (which is doing the "flaming") and this drowns out the nebula. A nebula filter dims the star and can enhance the nebula, but it appears to have some reflection as well as emission nebulosity, and the former is killed by the filter.

Its designation IC 405 is a hint to its difficulty - it was missed by all the NGC observers. I only attempted it because it's on the Caldwell list, and Caldwell inclusion is no indication of easiness (there are some killers on the list, and this is one of them). There are lots of other nebulae that are far more rewarding to look at: any of the Messier nebulae, and also many others in the Caldwell list, e.g. Hubble's Variable Nebula (NGC 2261) in Monoceros, which has a very interesting comet-like shape.

Many nebulae achieve fame thanks to photographs rather than visual appearance, so don't be fooled by popularity with imagers. Objects with Messier or NGC designation are usually the best to go for, and the NGC has loads to choose from. Most are small.

Yep, as a non NGC or messier I wasn't too sure as to its potential merit as a visual target. A small planetary I may attempt to locate is Cleopatra's Eye NGC 1535. Actually there is an interesting article in this months, December's, addition of Astronomy Now regarding Winter Nebulae. However it is always good to gain feedback from this forum and I have tried to locate a number of these, such as NGC 2022 (small Planetary in Orion) without success.

I've observed the Flaming Star with an 8" at a dark site but it's a very difficult object and my view of it was marginal. Part of the problem is that you have a relatively bright star in the field (which is doing the "flaming") and this drowns out the nebula. A nebula filter dims the star and can enhance the nebula, but it appears to have some reflection as well as emission nebulosity, and the former is killed by the filter.

Its designation IC 405 is a hint to its difficulty - it was missed by all the NGC observers. I only attempted it because it's on the Caldwell list, and Caldwell inclusion is no indication of easiness (there are some killers on the list, and this is one of them). There are lots of other nebulae that are far more rewarding to look at: any of the Messier nebulae, and also many others in the Caldwell list, e.g. Hubble's Variable Nebula (NGC 2261) in Monoceros, which has a very interesting comet-like shape.

Many nebulae achieve fame thanks to photographs rather than visual appearance, so don't be fooled by popularity with imagers. Objects with Messier or NGC designation are usually the best to go for, and the NGC has loads to choose from. Most are small.

thats good helpful info ,thanks.

I have had a good look for the flaming star nebula with a 10" Dob but no luck so far. It is a Moore Winter Marathon object. The star field is distinctive so it is easy to get in the right place, but I can't see a hint from home, with or without a UHC filter. I don't know how it compares to other good sized nebulae, but I can see (read detect) the Pacman and the Wizard from home, using the UHC.

Cotswold AS do have a darkish observing site that I was hoping to get out to last week but sadly the weather didn't cooperate.

A small planetary I may attempt to locate is Cleopatra's Eye NGC 1535. Actually there is an interesting article in this months, December's, addition of Astronomy Now regarding Winter Nebulae. However it is always good to gain feedback from this forum and I have tried to locate a number of these, such as NGC 2022 (small Planetary in Orion) without success.

I observed both of those with an 8" f6 in November 2003 (both on the same night). It was at a rural site but my notes say there was a 78% moon above horizon so it couldn't have been very dark. Here's what I wrote:

1535 Quite bright, similar in size to Eskimo Nebula. UHC filter "smooths out" the view, though it improves contrast against the sky. Has outer halo like Eskimo, but fading to edge seems more gradual.

2022 Faint - barely visible in 20mm and 8mm plossls. UHC helps greatly - but I couldn't convince myself of "annular" form.

On the same night I also observed 2392 (Eskimo), 7662 (Blue Snowbal), 2023/24 (zeta Ori nebula) and 2371/2 (bipolar planetary nebula in Gemini - faint, but most interesting object of the night).

I don't know how it compares to other good sized nebulae, but I can see (read detect) the Pacman and the Wizard from home, using the UHC.

I checked my notes for Pacman (NGC 281) and Wizard (NGC 7380), which I observed with the 8" on separate nights in 2003/04. I found 281 large and quite bright around central star: I sketched the view with 32mm plossl and UHC (a rubbish sketch but shows that I could see the mouth-like "notch" that gives it its nickname). All the other objects I viewed that night were galaxies.

For 7380, which is a cluster with nebulosity, I've got "More than 20 stars approx V-shape, with nebulosity improved by UHC. Nebula not as distinct as 7129, but larger. Nebulosity follows V-shape - can't see anything like the extentr shown on map, only part round cluster".

Other nebulae observed on the same night were Sh2-205 ("large, faint... UHC did little to improve"), 1499 (Caifornia Nebula - "south edge could be made out in 32mm plossl with UHC"), 7129/33 (2 clusters with nebulosity - 7133 larger, 7129 nebulosity improved by UHC). I rated transparency poor that night and mostly observed clusters.

Apart from the Messier and Caldwell lists, good targets can be found in the following list:

http://messier.seds.org/xtra/similar/rasc-ngc.html

Archived