Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Olympus DP-S1 Well Reduced @ Amazon

Damo636

Well,following a search of previous postings concerning these binos,and seeing that they get the thumbs up from the redoubtable Steve Tonkin,I've just ordered them for myself.They have to be better than my forty year old Prinz (Dixons store) binos.Of course,I cleared it with my better half first- who said "o.k-but you probably would have bought them anyway" (!!!)

... are they 'really' £50ish class binos with a RRP of £100 due to the Olympus name?
They are sharp and reasonably robust, but I wouldn't pay more than fifty quid for them. In fact, I'd wait until I had £100 and get the Strathspey waterproofs. I had the pleasure of using one last week and it is an amazingly good bit of kit for that price.

On the batphone, so expect typos...

They are sharp and reasonably robust, but I wouldn't pay more than fifty quid for them. In fact, I'd wait until I had £100 and get the Strathspey waterproofs. I had the pleasure of using one last week and it is an amazingly good bit of kit for that price.

On the batphone, so expect typos...

OH! - Maybe I should have held on to my horses....(!). To be honest,what I'd really like are Helios Apollo 15x70's.If I had £285 or whatever they cost to spare!

To be honest,what I'd really like are Helios Apollo 15x70's.
I have. I do really like!

That said, I doubt you'll regret getting the Olys. Whatever you have, unless it's a a real top end bino, you can always find a better binocular than the one you have -- for a lot more money!

The Olympus bins arrived yesterday, amazingly fast delivery considering I opted for their free super saver service!

I had an hour with them last night and have to say they have exceeded my expectations. Bins have never been high on my wish list, & truth be told, my last pair were bought in Lidl! These are a definate step up in every area though. Comparing the two last night the Olympus is brighter, sharper and shows much better contrast. A little more eye relief would have been nice but opticially I can't complain considering what they cost. Ok, lets face it, they're no Leica, but at the reduced price of £45 I would still consider them a bargain.

I actually had forgotten how relaxing it is observing with both eyes, and these bins have whetted my appetite for something maybe a little bigger in the future.

Quick question....

Best bang for buck, Helios Apollo 15x70 or 22x85?

Quick question....

Best bang for buck, Helios Apollo 15x70 or 22x85?

I would say the 15x70 (well, of course I would: I've got one :laugh: ). It is hand-holdable for very short periods, and is more amenable to a monopod/trigger-grip mount -- the 85mm is nearly twice the weight! IMO anything bigger than 70mm needs mounting and ideally ought to have angled eyepieces. (But I'm sure there are many people who have different opinions)

I would say the 15x70 (well, of course I would: I've got one :laugh: ). It is hand-holdable for very short periods, and is more amenable to a monopod/trigger-grip mount -- the 85mm is nearly twice the weight! IMO anything bigger than 70mm needs mounting and ideally ought to have angled eyepieces. (But I'm sure there are many people who have different opinions)

Thanks Steve. After a lot of reading, I have come to the conclusion that the 15x70 would suit me perfectly, best aperture/fov/exit pupil ratio.

A couple more questions, & please forgive my (binocular) newbie ignorance!

The Helios Quantum 4 & the Strathspey 15x70 to more of an extent, are a step down in price from the Apollo. Am I right in thinking that they will also be a step down optically? In your opinion, in what ways do the Apollo justify the extra cost?

Another thing I have noticed is that the Quantum 4 20x80 has triplet objective lens. Is this any advantage in the real world?

The Helios Quantum 4 & the Strathspey 15x70 to more of an extent, are a step down in price from the Apollo. Am I right in thinking that they will also be a step down optically? In your opinion, in what ways do the Apollo justify the extra cost?
Far better quality control, noticeably brighter optics (than the Strath, of which I also have one), partly due to the Strath having an effective aperture of about 63mm, sharper (especially closer to the edge), less false colour, IF. I've not used the Quantum 4, but a review of the 20x80 that I helped translate noted some obvious QC issues.
Another thing I have noticed is that the Quantum 4 20x80 has triplet objective lens. Is this any advantage in the real world?
According to the review I mentioned above, yes.

Royal Mail have delivered the Olys at 5.50pm this evening.I'll need to evaluate them tomoorow,as the weather is absolutely dire-it's chucking it down! Interestingly,today's Amazon price is £57.59. Oh,one more thing-my Binos don't have the 'Coleman' brand sticker on the offside, like the pair that one Amazon reviewer received(see his video on the Amazon site).No doubt mine come from the exact same production line though! I'll try to give a proper review as soon as I can.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived