NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

heq5 control with laptop

StarRaver

Evening all, just a quick question to anyone in the know about this.

I know alot of ppl use the usb to rs232 adapter to connect the mount to the laptop, but my question is would you be able to use a male to male rs232 serial lead to do the same thing ?

As I have a spare one sitting about at home, if I could that would save a bit of cash at this time of year.

Thanks

Dale

how about to the handset instead of the mount ? The cable supplied with the mount has yet the same connection, which I used to update the firmware and that plugs straight it to the back of the pc ( I think im on about pc direct mode ) but not sure , this is still all very new to me and don't have much disposable income at the moment

You could always just extend the handset lead , I know it doesn't exactly give you PC control though ,

I run 20m active extensions on the handset , camera and focuser that now enable me to sit in the warm with the laptop and run everything from there , just a penny saving thought . . .

Steve.

how about to the handset instead of the mount ? The cable supplied with the mount has yet the same connection, which I used to update the firmware and that plugs straight it to the back of the pc ( I think im on about pc direct mode ) but not sure , this is still all very new to me and don't have much disposable income at the moment

The cable used for firmware updating is also used for pc/laptop control of the mount through the handset. However, you will need a usb/serial adapter to use is with your laptop.

thank you, so me thinks i need to go and buy a usb/serial adapter, if you could point me to where i would be able to find a half decent one i would be very grateful.

so with the usb/serial adapter does that also mean i plug the cable directly in to the mount as well as the handset ? if so what are the differences between the two methods ?

Steve I like the sound of that, staying warm while doing astrophotography sounds to good to be true lol, do you have separate cables for all you equipment to connect to your laptop and would it work for all capture software ?

the more i dig in to this hobby the more my mind starts to swell, I am so glad this forum is here where i can ask these questions else i would be lost ( how you all coped before the internet, alot of reading and hair pulling i bet )

thank you for all your help

Thank you for that matt,

So with the cable supplied with the mount, that will plug in to the eqdir module, then with a usb cable to the laptop. With the st-4 connection ( think thats right ) would I plug that directly in to the mount or handset, and what's the difference between the two ?

I will order the eqdir module from Flo when I get home as £25 is a bargain.

Would this work with maxim dl or skyX pro aswell as im planning on getting one or the other later on down the line as an all in one program

Archived