NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ6 questions

Dan Leach

I have recently got an EQ6 mount and a skywatcher 200PDS.

In the last few days Ive played with it quite a bit and think I understand most things about how to set it up and stuff.

One thing Im not so sure about is exactly how to set the polar alignment angle, is this just done by turning the alititude adjustment screw until it hits about right? It does seem the alititude adjustment screw gets in the way of the body of the scope and isnt easy to use.

I also noticed that when I took the screw out when disassembling the mount at the end of my session that the screw is very slightly bent.

What am I doing wrong? :)

my bolts bent straight away when i got mine which was aright pain. i polar align with nothing on then carefully put everything on and check PA and make an fine adjustments just to decrease the stress on the bolts. just make sure when adjusting the ALT bolts losen the opposite one :)

Load the latest software version 3.32 and read the latest manual, that will answer most of your questions.

The bolts are made of soft cheese and I would always tell folk to replace them with ones from astro developments. It sounds like you may have forced yours so get them swapped before they bend and jam because that is not a happy situation to resolve.

Is there any sign of SW correcting this shoddy piece of work? I've not actually got one of these mounts EQ5 or EQ6 - in fact it puts me off buying one as I wonder what else they've scrimped on - but even so I seem to have read about this particular problem for ages now.

Read the manual, it will help.

As regards the soft bolts. Well its hardly a disaster having to replace gwo bolts and its not like its a secret. If changing two bolts over is a headache scrape the 10 grand together for a Millenium Mount and it will probably be perfect.

Considering how good these mounts are a few small, well documented problems, can be lived with surely. All the Skywatcher mounts are exceedingly good value and most very reliable and solid bits of kit that has had software support for ages with upgrades and inprovements.

All the Skywatcher mounts are exceedingly good value and most very reliable and solid bits of kit that has had software support for ages with upgrades and inprovements.

And yet they still can't adress something as simple as two dodgy bolts. fit for purpose springs to mind

Scott

OK something else now.

As the weather is pants I'm stuck inside tonight, so I started looking about the internet for other bits and bobs. I quite like the look of the GPS add-on as it looks like it will make setting up easier and faster. But to get one of these I need to make sure my firmware is v.3 or above.

Ive found how to connect it to the PC (whats wrong with USB?) but the only power lead I have for the handset is a car cigar lighter.

My desktop PC and car never get very close, and the lighter in my car has never worked anyway.

How can I power the handset? is there a battery pack add-on or will there be a connector with a power tank (I'm getting one at the weekend)?

Archived