Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My attempt at M33

DaveGarland

Well, this is my attempt at M33. Overall I have mixed feelings, I'm happy that I seem to have some colour in this picture which has eluded me so far but I'm still unhappy at the light pollution. Is it something that can be dealt with, with better use of flats? Perhaps some of you can give me some advice. I made flats by placing white vest over the end of my scope and pointing it straight up at the sky in daylight. Is there a better way of doing this? What ratio of flats/darks/lights should i be using? Or realistically is this the sort of picture I can expect living on the edge of a light polluted city like Bristol?

Advice please.

Dave.

post-15373-135535545967_thumb.jpg

hi dave i have just had a quick ganders at your image. i think if you go back to processing keep an eye on your image's histogram its too far left all bunched up. when your processing your right to keep it left but you want the curve to start at the black point not go over. you have the data there just have another go :) keep up the good work it all comes together eventually :)

post-15373-0-29851900-1355499665_thumb.j

Is this any better? Im still having real problems with vignetting and by the time I've turned the brightnes down I'm then missing some of the galaxy detail. Ive tried some of the tips with taking flats but they dont seem to make any difference on Deep Sky Stacker. Is there a particular setting i should be using on DSS?

That's much better :) though still a bit too blue. I think you mighy just have clipped the black a bit too. Practice the processing and you'll get more out of that, I'm sure :) It takes a lot of experimentation and patience to improve the processing but it's also very rewarding :) Good luck - you've made an excellent start there :)

Archived