Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging with 2MP Fuji Compact Camera

asteria

Hi there - I've got a spare 2MP Fuji compact camera and I'm thinking about turning it to some simple imaging. I'd be looking to hook it up to a Nexstar 80GT. This is probably not the ideal scope, but there's nothing to lose by trying! I was going to try the Celestron Neximage, but I don't have a laptop as yet. Any thoughts?

By the way, I'm new to the forum, but what a fantastic resource for all things astronomical. Thanks to everyone for making this such a helpful and friendly place.

Ed

Ed welcome to the forum

As for your camera when the moon is about hold it upto the eyepeice and just

shoot a few if you find you get good results then you can look at a camera

support bracket.

Mick. :D

Hi Mick - thanks for the reply. It's that simple! Point and shoot. I'll give this a go when I'm next out. There are some amazing photos taken with mobile phone cameras on the site, which is similar in principle. A camera bracket would allow for the camera to take some video footage while tracking I guess. Don't know what the quality would be like but it might produce a similar result to the Neximage.

Thanks again.

Ed

Ed not that simple but for the moon point and shoot will give you some images to play about with

i would suggest this method first you don't want to pay out for a camera bracket if your camera

will not see through your eyepiece (cos some dont you know).

As far as tracking images your compact camera will not have long enough exposure time so best stick

to eyepiece projection.

Go and say hello in the welcome section i am sure help will come flooding in.

I am a visual man myself but i understand the basics of imaging.

Mick. :D

Hi Ed

I use a 3Mp fuji camera for imaging.

I do have a bracket but if you don't have one stick with the moon, you should get plenty of good pics

If ypu have a bracket you can get pics of Planets, double stars etc.

Cheers

Ian

Hi there - thanks for the input. It will be interesting to see how this works. The best place to start it seems is the Moon, and take it from there. At this stage I don't think I want anything too complicated! It's tough enough fiddling about in the dark with telescope, let alone adding a camera and a laptop into the mix. It is incredible to see some of the images that people are getting though, I can see the attraction of deep sky imaging, but I don't think I'm really that patient....

My main interest is really in visual work, it seems more direct, but I thought it would be worth a try with this old Fuji camera, just to see what happens.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ed

Archived