Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Latitude & Altitude Adjustment Bolts

atmenterprises

I've been reading everything I can read on polar aligning my HEQ5 but I'm still lost, even after Astro Baby's write-up.

There are two bolts that came with my mount which are evidently the altitude and longitude bolts, and I see where they go, and if I screw them in I don't see that they do anything. Where do the use of these bolts fit into the grand scheme of polar aligning, and how do you use them? They just get tight if I screw them in far enough.

Hi there

To alter you have to release one then tighten the other depending on direction you want to go. Each time one becomes tight, you loosen the other one, and the first one can be tightened more.

They work in tandem. loosen one tighten the other and so on. Hope this makes sense from a newbie :)

Velvet

Can you move the mount in altitude without using the bolts? It should be tight but still possible to move by hand. If you can't move it by hand then I would seriously consider returning it to the supplier as you are very likely to bend a bolt during any further adjustment.

If the mount does move then just insert the rear bolt under the polar scope cap and use that one to elevate the mount, once you get a feel for how much effort is needed insert the North side bolt until it goes tight. At this point both bolts are in contact with the adjustment plate and to change the altitude you need to work the bolts together, as you slack one you can tighten the one on the other side. The major adjustments should be done without the scope mounted

From what you have already said I would check, if you have not already, that you can still unwind the bolts until they are fully out. They really are that bad.

The problem is that you do not have to apply much force at all for them to go out of shape or snap. Your mention of getting tight and some resistance is often all that is needed.

Archived